Allison Arterburn, Her Campus Writer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Age: 20

Year: Sophomore

Major: Integrated Strategic Communication (with a focus in Public Relations)

Hometown: Waterloo, Illinois (Near St. Louis)

What is your position with her campus?

I am currently a writer for Her Campus.

How did you get involved with the club?

I found out about Her Campus for the first time at a Student Activities Board meeting back in November. One of the writers for Her Campus, at the time, was also involved with SAB. She announced during our member’s privilege that they were in need of writers. The more I looked into it after the meeting, the more I wanted to write for Her Campus.  I didn’t actually start writing for Her Campus until February, and fell more in love with writing.

What is your favorite part about being a writer?

I love being able to express myself in words. Not everybody can say they get to write a fun article on their favorite tv show/musicians every week. I like putting my thoughts to paper (or in this case thoughts to a webpage).

Any challenges?

Actually coming up with what to write about each week. I love that Her Campus gives me, and the rest of the writers, the freedom to pick what I want to write. Just some times it is difficult to decide what to write and what others would enjoy reading. Another big challenge is actually believing in myself and my writing. Before, I was so worried about what others would think of my articles;  if they would hate it, love it, think it was okay. Now that I am writing each week, the thought is still in my brain, just not as prominent as it was when I started writing for Her Campus.

Are you involved in other clubs on campus?

I am involved with the Student Activities Board on campus.

What is your dream job?

I want to head down to Nashville and PR for a major record label, like Big Machine Records.

Hobbies?

I love getting lost in books, which I have been so busy these past few weeks I haven’t had a chance to sit and read. I love writing, playing card games with friends. Is going to concerts considered a hobby?

Advice to new students?

It might be a few words of wisdom, but my advice to new students is stop worrying about what other people think! College is a different/new chapter in your story. It is not their story, it is yours. Don’t let a little noise stop you from being who you are. Also, don’t be afraid of getting hurt. Fall in love with class, friends, your family, a significant person, but most importantly fall in love with yourself. It is your story, we are just living in it.

Favorite memory so far at UK?

Oh gosh, there is too many! I think my favorite memory though would be when my friends and I went to Louisville for a day. Three of us have birthday’s in November, so as a mini birthday party, we all decided to drive to Louisville and be a tourist. We trekked along the walking bridge, walked around downtown, visited an art museum hotel, and visited the Louisville Slugger factory. I was the Mom of the group and got to put my Polaroid camera to good use. There is never a dull moment with my friends. Usually we are hanging out baking cookies, playing card and board games. It was a nice change to see a city with them I’ve only drove past. 

"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."