photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

5 Ways to Revamp Your Dorm Room on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo by Danielle Doren

With the school year more than halfway over, you may be getting sick of the dorm room you decorated months ago. You may not want to change everything, but spicing things up a bit never hurts! Even if you are a typical broke college student, there are still easy ways to revamp your dorm room!

1. Lights

Lights are not just for the holiday season—they can make your room 10 times cuter all year round! There are also many types you can get depending on the look you are going for including basic Christmas lights, galaxy lights, globe lights and more.

2. Tapestry

If you’re looking for an easy way to completely change the look of your room without much hassle, a wall tapestry is the way to go. First, it takes up a whole wall so you will not have to worry about any other decor. Second, there are so many patterns and designs, so you are guaranteed to find one that fits your personality. Third, they are a super cute backdrop for Instagram pics!

3. Pillows

Getting a whole new bedding set is way too expensive and not very practical. It is cheaper and easier to change out the throw pillows on your bed. Find some that match your new color scheme or that have cute phrases on them. You can also add some throw blankets and a fuzzy rug for a cozier vibe.

4. Pictures

This may sound like an obvious one, but pictures can go a long way. First, you willl want to change out the old pictures you have and start adding ones with new college memories. Once you have gathered all of your favorite pics, you can line a wall with them, cover a corkboard, create a picture clothesline or just put them in cute frames.

5. Clothing Rack

It can be hard fitting all of your clothes into a small closet, especially if you have to share with your roommates. A clothing rack is an easy way to create extra storage, plus you can display all of your trendy outfits!

There are various other little dorm decorations you can add, like plants, wall art, lightboxes and more. But, these five options will make the biggest difference with the smallest amount of effort, especially if you are looking to revamp your room on a budget!

Happy decorating!

Hi, I'm Jillian! I am currently studying Interior Design and Business at the University of Kentucky. Besides design, some of my passions include writing and fashion. I also love traveling--exploring new, fun places with friends is one of my favorites pastimes.