5 Uses of Coconut Oil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Coconut oil has many uses whether it is externally or internally. The type that I buy is the Spectrum Organic Virgin Coconut Oil unrefined for medium heat.

Buying coconut oil to substitute for a few products that you use may save you money in the long run. Some uses of coconut oil are:

1.     To ease frizz: Stop buying those expensive products that are made to tame frizz and make your hair soft and shiny. Heating up about a quarter sized bit of coconut oil and massage it into your hair when wet or dry just as you would any other oil.

2.     To deep condition your hair: Why spend money on expensive deep conditioners when you have natural oil that works just the same. Coconut oil is used often in shampoos and conditioners because it repairs your hair. To deep condition with coconut oil just heat up the oil until it is liquid and then apply it to your hair. Leave it on for however long you want. Personally, I would try leaving it on for an hour or so.

3.     Cuticle softener: Anyone who paints their nails knows the struggle of those painful cuticles that jut of and get caught on everything. Coconut oil can be used to soften your cuticles. All you have to do is rub the oil on them.

4.     Moisturizer: Coconut oil is a good moisturizer. If you have dry skin or seasonal dry skin then you may want to invest in coconut oil. It works well and, depending on what kind you get, may leave you smelling like coconut. I use the oil as a facial moisturizer because I combination skin and the parts that are dry are very dry. It does not make my skin oilier. If my lips are dry I will apply coconut oil on my lips and then apply lip balm. If my skin is dry I will rub coconut oil on it and it helps a lot. A really good use I have had out of it is as a deodorant. Regular deodorant dries my skin and makes it hurt so I use coconut oil in place of it because it will moisturize my skin and leave a coconut scent.

5.     To cook: Many people use coconut oil when cooking. It is, in most cases, a healthier alternative to various cooking oils. It has also been known to aid in weight loss.

I may never win a Pulitzer, but I will be doing something that makes me happy and I would not change that.
"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."