4 Presidential Candidates You’ve Never Heard Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

People often use the term “millennial” disparagingly. We’re characterized as lazy, entitled and disinterested. The 2016 presidential race could be a good place to change our image and change the future of the country that frustrates us. We were raised to love an underdog, to fight for the little guy. Given that an estimated 31% don’t align with either major political party, we could throw our full support behind a third party candidate and insist that they be given the same chance as the two parties that have dominated our system for too long.

Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump were never supposed to stand a chance, but here they are, leading the pack with tons of loyal followers. Why would this happen? Because they are not actually part of the two-party system: Sanders is a lifelong Independent, and still maintains that he is a Democratic Socialist, while Donald Trump bounced between Democrat, Republican and “I do not wish to enroll in a party” five times over the past thirty years. So in a year when two of the most popular candidates are not part of their own party in the traditional sense, why not take it a step farther and support a third party candidate?

Dr. Jill Stein (Green Party) 

I would bet that you’ve never heard of the most successful female presidential candidate in U.S. history. Dr. Stein ran as the Green Party candidate in 2012 and gained 456,169 votes for 0.36% of the election, the most any woman has ever gotten. She tried her best to be included in the mainstream election that year, and ended up arrested (along with running mate Cheri Honkala) for her trouble.

Supports: $15/hour minimum wage, free higher education, stopping climate change, legalizing marijuana

Opposes: corporate personhood, war, drone attacks and nuclear armament, GMOs

Full disclosure: Dr. Stein is not the only Green Party candidate in this election. With the election being 10 months away, many parties do not have a single nomination yet.

Farley Anderson (Independent American Party)

Farley Anderson drafted a proposed 28th Amendement of the Constitution that the party requires any candidate must swear to implement and uphold if elected. An author, lecturer and publisher by trade, Anderson has written several books and produced a documentary on civil defense.

Supports: laws based solely on the Constitution and religious order, states rights

Opposes: government overreach

Gary Johnson (Libertarian Party)

Former Governor of New Mexico Gary Johnson is a true Libertarian and two-time presidential candidate. He took pride in using his gubernatorial position to stand between the government and the citizenry, vetoing over 750 laws and cutting taxes 14 times, never raising them. He earned 1.27 million votes, the most of any third party candidate in 2012. If you’re fiscally conservative and socially liberal, he could be the candidate for you. Plus, he lost a toe climbing Mt. Everest (so he’s pretty cool).

Supports: term limits for congressmen, personal freedom, criminal justice reform, immigration reform

Opposes: national debt/deficit, the current tax code, government intrusions

Gloria LaRiva (Party of Socialism and Liberation)

Gloria LaRiva is running on a ten-point platform with her running mate Eugene Puryear. She is staunchly anti-war and a proponent for fair labor laws including unions, for equal treatment of all minorities and for dismantling the capitalist system of the U.S., starting with Wall Street. She recently condemned Madeleine Albright’s comments in support of Hillary Clinton as pro-war and anti-woman.

Supports: $20/hour minimum wage, shutting down all overseas military bases, free education, reproductive rights

Opposes: fracking, nuclear weapons, capitalism, prison overpopulation

So, my fellow millennials, do your research and find a candidate you actually support. There are many more possibilities than you’ll ever see on TV, more than I could include in this list. Visit http://www.isidewith.com/  and find a candidate who believes in the same things you do.

Photo Credits:

techofcomm.files.wordpress.com, static01.nvt.com, media.gq.com, utahsociety.org, d22915sflp19cp.cloudfront.net 

"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."