10 Cute Decorations for Your Room Under $10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

I recently decided to redecorate my room and update it to my new likings. I thought I was going to spend a ton of money, mentally preparing my bank account to be emptied, but upon looking around at different stores I found adorable decorations for amazing prices!

There are plenty of places to find décor that appear to be overlooked nowadays – especially Goodwill and Dollar Tree.

Keep in mind that a lot of the stores have coupon options as well. Especially at Michael’s, so that is an even bigger plus!

Here are 10 decorations I found or made, each under $10, for my updated room:

1. This adorable elephant teapot from Kroger was only $7.99 and it is the perfect touch to my dresser. It could also work for a kitchen!

1. Small peacock painting from Dollar Tree for only $1! There are SO many different paintings of this size for $1, though this one worked best for my blue-painted room. They even had themed paintings that would look great for a kitchen, bathroom or children’s room.

1. Fake flowers from Dollar Tree, each stem consisting of approximately four flowers, for only $1! There are TONS of selections of flowers from roses, sunflowers, daisies, even leaves for fall and black flowers for Halloween!

1. I found this needlepoint flower print from Goodwill for only $2. This was signed and dated on the back which gave it so much more meaning and worked perfectly with the colors of my room. Goodwill always has little neat finds for great prices!

1. This medium density fiberboard (MDF) “H” was only $5.29 from Michael’s. They have every letter of the alphabet along with other symbols such as !, & and @ if you’d like to decorate with those as well. For my “H” I bought acrylic paint at Walmart for 50¢ and fake flowers from Dollar Tree as I mentioned in number three. This decoration costs approximately $7.

1. Glass mason jars from Michael’s for $2 apiece. I painted them with acrylic paint from Walmart, bought a jar of $3 glitter from Walmart to add extra flair to one, and fake flowers from Dollar Tree. The entire decoration cost only $9.

1. Tall glass jars from Dollar Tree for $1 each! These were two of my favorite jars I found that worked for my room, but there are many other colors of jars such as red and green. You can even purchase fake flowers to add another pop of color.

1. Metal candle holders from Walmart for $4.96. The metal comes in silver, gold, bronze and brown. Though they only come in one scent, they are an adorable touch for any room in a house!

1. Mugs from Kroger ranging in price from $3.74 to $5.96. I bought one mug, filled it with river rocks I bought from Dollar Tree for $1 and displayed my makeup brushes in it! There are plenty of mugs to choose from to get the perfect color or design for your room.

1. These small signs from Kohl’s for $4.99. These two signs matched my room perfectly and they are adorable! There are other signs available, though they are a little pricier if you are willing to spend more.

My updated room was inexpensive and totally worth it! If you are looking for a cheap overhaul, I hope these ideas work for you!

Photos By Hannah Woosley

Hannah Woosley is a senior at the University of Kentucky majoring in print journalism and minoring in history. She is a staff writer and co-editor for Her Campus UK. She is also a columnist and assistant opinions editor for UK’s student-run school newspaper, The Kentucky Kernel. In her free time, she enjoys being outdoors hiking, swimming and practicing yoga. She adores animals and has two, six-year-old cats. You can catch Hannah writing an article, watching her favorite shows on Netflix, drinking an iced coffee or enjoying some time outdoors.