jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Your Friends Are the Great Loves Of Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The big V-Day is coming up and again some of us who are single are like “Dammit, I’m still single.” Some of us are thinking what the hell am I going to do or who can be my Valentine? I actually don’t care that I’m single this year. Why do I need to have a significant other at this time? Why does it matter if I’m single? Your friends can be your Valentine and honestly are the great loves of your life.

We’ve heard that in our lifetime that we’ll have many great loves that usually teach us a lesson if they walk out of our lives. We immediately think that the great loves are our future/ current significant others, but what about our friends? I know it’s odd to imagine our friends being the great loves of our lives, but it’s true. It’s not to say that our significant other won’t be a great love of our life, but our friends will be one too.

My mom introduced the term forever friend to me.  I was confused as to what she even meant because we all know the normal terms such as friend and best friend. She explained that a forever friend is one that will most likely be your life long friend. A forever friend or friends are the great loves of your life. We all have at least one person that we think of when we say forever friend. I had over 8 people pop up in my head. I know that’s a lot.

They accept you for who you are. They’ve seen everything. They’ve seen you ugly cry like Kim Kardashian. They’ve watched you dance and sing obnoxiously to Disney songs. They watch all the shows they think are terrible with you like The Bachelor. They always take a million photos with you and never complain. They’re always there if you need someone, whether it’s to be your wing woman, dance partner, personal cheerleader, or lunch buddy. They’re there to tell you when you’re being crazy and need to snap out of it. They’re also ready to kick someone’s butt, if they hurt you. I could go on with the list, but I think you get the point.

So you don’t have a significant other, it doesn’t mean you’re not loved. Your friends are always there for you no matter what. They love you unconditionally and never forget to tell you how great you are. Looking for Prince Charming might not be necessary, when you already have some magical people in your life, if you close enough.

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
UIC Contributor.