Why Oatmeal is Your Winter Skin Superhero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Even though it’s still November, we’re quickly approaching winter here in the Midwest, and that means it’s time to buckle down and break out the winter skin care products. Winter wind and dryness can be hellish for your skin, but there’s one savior of an ingredient in many skin care products (and probably in your pantry) that you can look out for: Oatmeal! Oatmeal has many properties that make it perfect for keeping your skin soft and hydrated, even in the winter time. Below are some ideas for how to use it!

1. DIY

If you’re on a budget, making your own skincare products can be a great way to save a few bucks and have fun. Oatmeal can be used to make masks and scrubs for your face when mixed with a few other ingredients that you probably have lying around somewhere or that you can get for cheap at the grocery store. Oatmeal is great to use for scrubs – especially in the winter time – because it exfoliates without being too harsh or abrasive on your sensitive skin. For a super simple scrub, just mix a handful of plain oatmeal with warm water and rub it in small circular motions all over your face. For a moisturizing mask, try this one from Michelle Phan – though I’d recommend taking her suggestion to use almond oil for the Vitamin E benefits instead of ground almonds that might be rough on your skin.

2. Products

Many skincare products contain something called colloidal oatmeal that soothes and heals dry, itchy skin. You can make it on your own if you have something that can grind up store-bought, non-instant oatmeal into a fine powder, but otherwise, many products already contain it. Some of my favorites are First Aid Beauty’s Ultra Repair Cream, which is perfect for your face or your body. If you’re looking for something a little more on the affordable side, try Aveeno’s Eczema Therapy Cream, which is great to carry in your backpack or purse. Aveeno has a whole line of products that use the benefits of oatmeal, which you can check out on their website.

3. Baths

Okay, so I know those of us who live in the dorms don’t exactly have access to a bathtub, but winter break is quickly approaching, which means you can reap the benefits of your family’s tub at home all you want. You can make your own oatmeal bath soak by grinding rolled oats in a food processor to make colloidal oatmeal and sprinkling them into warm bath water, or you can get store-bought colloidal oatmeal or oatmeal bath soaks – just make sure there aren’t a lot of added artificial ingredients. The key is to use warm water, not hot, because hot water can make your dry skin worse by stripping your skin of natural oils that keep it hydrated.

So, if you’re like me and you suffer from dry, itchy skin all winter long, try some of these tips and your skin will thank you. 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so. 
UIC Contributor.