This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Collegiettes, let’s not hide the fact that double standards exist. Why ignore the truth? We can’t ignore this because yes society will make it seem small or nonexistent, but you know this is a big thing. People will say how far women have come, but if that’s the case, then why are there double standards? Why are women put on this pedestal?

Double standards should not exist. Are we not equal to men? We do have the same rights as men, yet there’s things we cannot do or they make us feel inferior. Society has made it so even though we try to get ahead that we are criticized and are sent back to square one. Double standards affect us in almost every aspect of our life whether or not we notice it. If you haven’t dealt with double standards, then I commend you. I do, however, believe that almost every woman has come in contact with double standards and may have not realized it. The reason I’m speaking out about double standards is because it is unfair. It is unfair that women are made to feel inferior if they try to do a “man’s job.” I do believe the saying that “no one can make you feel inferior without your consent,” although I think that there are times we can’t help, but feel inferior when society is constantly on our case.

Why are men not affected by double standards? A woman is a man’s equal, so shouldn’t they be held to the same standards as men? This isn’t a man’s world, though society will make us believe it is. It is our world too. I am able to do a man’s job just as well as them and should be paid the same. Do not say that a woman can’t do something because she will prove you wrong. Do not criticize how I dress, unless you will also be criticizing what a man wears. Don’t slut shame me, but walk over and high five a guy. Criticize me, but only if you’ll do the same for a man.

There is no difference between a woman and man, except physically. You can take women off of this pedestal that’s reserved for the double standards that’s been placed. Treat us as equals without different expectations. There are ways we may end double standards, but it begins with you. We are equals that live in the same society, so treat us the equally rather than differently. 

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
UIC Contributor.