dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Cuffing Season Is Overrated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Collegiettes, it is not fall season upon us, but cuffing season. If some of you do not know what cuffing season is, then let me explain. Cuffing season is pretty much when everyone around you is in a relationship during fall and winter, while you’re still single as a pringle. Singles, including myself, dread cuffing season. It reminds us that we do not have a significant other, especially when you see apple picking and Halloween photos (but let’s be real it’s any photo) when the holidays roll around and then of course when it becomes cuddling weather. Let’s just say Netflix and ice cream does wonders during this time.

Who cares about cuffing season though? Why is it such a big deal that we tend to obsess and dread about it? I know I do, as well as some of my best friends, but does it matter? Ladies, we need to take a step back and realize that being single during cuffing season isn’t that bad. Does it suck sometimes when you see couples around you during this time? Well yeah, but it shouldn’t be something you obsess over. Honestly, cuffing season is something that someone made up and that all of us tend to joke about around this time or in some cases scramble to find someone.

You may not have a significant other during this time, but you still have your friends. You are still surrounded by those who care about you and are always up for an adventure. Our friends are easy to plan things with and it’s always a good time with them. You know they are ready to take a million basic fall/winter selfies and to post on Instagram. You get to have more fun memories with your friends and embarrassing stories to laugh about. If a guy can’t see how amazing you are, then your friends are there to tell you. You don’t need to scramble to find someone during this time. There’s no point in trying to force or make something just because you don’t want to be alone. You also do not need to settle with some random or go back to your ex. Open your eyes and realize you are so much more than some dumb made up season.

I used to dread cuffing season, but now it’s not a big deal. In all the past cuffing seasons, I’ve had my best friends go on adventures with me and take flawless photos with me. If I’m not cuffed, it doesn’t define my worth. It doesn’t mean anything or say anything about who I am, if I’m not cuffed. I know I’m amazing and if someone wanted to cuff me, then they would have, which is what I hope you realize for yourself. So this cuffing season, stop worrying if you have a significant other and go hang with your best friends or focus on you.

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
UIC Contributor.