TV Shows to Watch Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

If you’re in need of a deep relaxation and much needed break from classes just as much as I am, you’re probably counting down the days until spring break. With about two weeks left, some of you most likely have your trips planned for sunny skies, warm weather, and bikini filled beaches in Miami or South Padre. For those of you that desperately need to give your wallet a break, like me, you’ll probably be spending spring break in the city. Which if the weather permits, will be a great spring break because there is always something going on in Chicago!

What better opportunity to catch up on all those episodes of New Girl or Pretty Little Liars than during spring break? You’ll save money for any upcoming summer shenanigans, can visit your family back home, and will have a nice, relaxed break from the stresses of school work. Here are some TV shows that are perfect to catch up on during spring break.    

Breaking Bad

Arguably one of the best TV shows to air, Breaking Bad has won several Emmy’s and Golden Globe Awards due to its beautifully written script and amazing actors such as Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, and Anna Gunn. The best part is that all five seasons are available on Netflix! So if you not have seen the complete series, this spring break is your opportunity to experience the greatness of this show for yourself!  

House of Cards

A Netflix original and probably one of my favorite TV shows, House of Cards is centered around Francis Underwood, played by Kevin Spacey, a congressman who strives for complete power in Washington D.C. alongside his ambitious partner in crime wife, Claire. Netflix released the complete season 2 in February. If you have some free time this break, this show is a must watch.   

Walking Dead

Another popular AMC TV show, the Walking Dead, is easily a favorite among viewers. If you love gory scenes and zombie themed shows, the Walking Dead is the show for you. One of my favorite aspects of this show is its suspense and the development of the characters as the episodes progress. It is currently in its 4th season, 3 of which are on Netflix, and season 4 episodes can be viewed directly on AMC.

Pretty Little Liars

One of ABC Family’s most tweeted about shows, Pretty Little Liars, focuses on a group of 4 best girl friends who try to solve the mystery behind their friend’s death and all the drama that comes with it in their small town of Rosewood. Another one of my favorites, as every episode of this show will have you questioning every character’s move and leave you wondering what’s next to come. 

Nicole is a proud city girl born and raised in beautiful Chicago. She is currently a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Business Marketing major and a part of the Women's Line Up Team at Nike Chicago. She loves everything to do with fitness & health, music, urban life, and sports! In her spare time she loves to run, ride her fixie along the lakefront, do yoga, and volunteer! She is a die hard Chicago Bulls fan with a huge sweet tooth. Nicole's dream is to have a career in marketing with a focus in brand management or advertisement and sales promotion.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.