This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.
Give other airlines a chance.

We all know plenty of people who do not fly on an airplane unless it is a first-class, window-seat with American Airlines. While we can agree that this option is definitely the most comfortable, it is also four times the price as others. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you’re trying to explore the world on a budget, other airlines can do the job just fine. Airplane food isn’t necessarily something worth paying extra for unless you’re on a long flight, of course.  

If you see a good price, buy it.

It has definitely happened more than once. I see an extremely good deal and as I wait for a reply from my friends, in just three hours it’s gone. If you see a really low price, chances are they are offering it only for a few seats, so it is best to purchase ASAP (I have also found that all airlines offer most of their low fares on Tuesdays).

Google Flights is your best friend.

If you already have a destination in mind and the span of dates, then you should check frequently on this site to keep up with the fares. Sometimes, you have to be willing to be more flexible because altering your departure/return flight by just a day can save you more money. Also, after seeing a roundtrip fare that works for you, it will list how much that same trip is going for on other sites (Expedia, CheapOair, Priceline, etc) making it easier for you to get the lowest price available.

Try out Airbnb.

Sometimes due to high demand, hotels can raise their prices significantly making Airbnb a great alternative. All of the homes offered have a description, and they explain exactly what is included in the price. It is okay to be skeptical, and I recommend always checking the reviews to find a right place for you. Personally, for a trip to Miami this summer I saved $50 a night for choosing an Airbnb over the hotel next door. Also, they have been expanding their services to include tours, cultural activities, 

Pack wisely*.

You don’t necessarily have to pack lightly, just wisely. Put together your outfits beforehand, so you aren’t taking that one extra shirt for no reason. Use versatile shoes that can be paired with more than just one outfit. Remember, the more that you pack the more luggage you will need which equals to more money spent.

Know before you go.

Spontaneous trips are fun and full of surprises. While we should all experience it in our lifetime, if you’re trying to save money, it is best to do your research. Take a look at the different options for transportation (bus, trains, UBER, Lyft, etc.) as it can change from city to city. For example, in New York, most of my fares, on average, were $8 for a fifteen-minute drive with UBER. While in Miami, a Lyft ride for the similar distance was only about $4. Also, some museums/sights have specific hours and close after a certain time. It’s important to be aware of any restrictions to make the most of your trip.

Go in with an open mind.

There have been many trips where I look back and think about all the things I could have done. Like many situations in life, traveling needs to be approached with an open mind. You have to be willing to try new things and meet new people. It starts with getting out of your comfort zone: try driving the jetski, taste the exotic dish you’ve never had before, take the hour hike up that mountain. Traveling should change you as a person for the better if you allow it to. 

Safe travels!

(Pictures taken from Google Images)

Hola! My name is Daisy Mora. I am currently a junior at the University of Illinois at Chicago, working towards a major in Communications and minoring in Spanish and Business Admin. I have many passions including food, sports, dancing but more than anything I really enjoy writing. This is why I am really excited to join Her Campus this year and can't wait to begin writing as well!
UIC Contributor.