This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Today we’re featuring this article from guest writer Timothy Nguyen. You may know him from Humans of UIC and as the UIC campus photographer. Tim is known to take some amazing pictures of student organizations and photoshoots just for fun. Make sure to keep reading to find out what his favorite photohoot locations are for some inspiration!

To many people, photography is a way to express themselves by being creative and by capturing the unique perspective of your surroundings. Each time I pick up my camera I feel bold and adventurous. I enjoy many different types of photography, such as event photography, pictures of campus, food, etc. But my favorite type of photography is portrait photography, because it allows me to connect to people and learn from each person I meet.

Chicago is a picturesque city. From the city to campus, there are many great places to take pictures at. Here’s a list of my favorite spots around UIC that I enjoyed shooting at the most!

10. Behavioral Sciences Building

Perhaps one of the most cliché but beautiful places on campus to take pictures at is on top of the Behavioral Science Building(BSB). From BSB you have a nice view of the skyline(but unfortunately UH gets in the shot!) I’ve done a lot of photoshoots for student organizations such as The College of Cycling, Delta Epsilon Mu, and Pre-Law Society.

9. On Campus

My favorite place to snap pics closer to the heart of UIC are outside of Lincoln Hall, the sidewalks by Science Engineering Offices(SEO), the quad, the East Terrace at Student Center East, the Lower Montgomery Lounge, and the like. Some of my favorite student organization shoots from those locations were from Tedx, Fuego Dance Crew, Pre-Nursing Student Organization, In Taal and many more!

8. Lincoln Park

The Wood Pavilion near the Lincoln Park Zoo is one of those places where people always ask, “Hey Tim, where did you take that picture?” I love the location of the Pavilion. It’s right next to the Lincoln Park Zoo and it’s next to this huge flower conservatory. Probably one of the most relaxing places to be.

7. Navy Pier

I have a love-hate situation with Navy Pier. I love being there, but I hate getting there. Besides that, it’s a wonderful location next to the lake that has views of the skyline and of the newly renovated area there. The best time to go is at night when all of the lights come on which adds a warm glow to your shots. Very cool place, but I try not to go there too much if I don’t have to.

6. Museum Campus/ Northerly Island

Hands down, Museum Campus has a Skyline view that is hard to beat. If you come here at 6am, noon, 5pm, or even 9pm(bring a flash), your images are always going to come out good. There’s a beach nearby; if you walk north of the Planetarium (which most people don’t know about.) Speaking of beaches, that is exactly where my next favorite location to take pictures is at!

5. North Avenue and Oak Street Beach

Someday I wish to go to a beach along the ocean, but the beaches in Chicago should do for now. There’s something magical about the beach, whether it be the sound of the waves crashing against the shoreline, the white crests of the waves cascading or the glowing warm sand between your toes. My next favorite location hits close to home, literally.

4. Near Campus (Behind Library)

Just behind the library, before you hit Ashland and in between Taylor and Harrison streets are a lot of apartments and parks. One of my favorite places is by the Christopher Columbus Fountain on Loomis Street. Behind it is a huge park with a plethora of trees and scenery. I remember doing a shoot for Phi Sigma Sigma there last Fall. The leaves on the ground added a nice Fall touch to the images.

3. Near Campus (North of Campus)

If you walk North of campus up Morgan Street but before Randolph Street, there are plenty of gritty walls, a variety of fences, and a handful of neat spots to explore. The fence in the picture above is one of my favorites!

2. Millennium Park

One of the most touristy places in Chicago is perhaps Millennium Park. As my friend Helema says in her Instagram posts, “I’m being a tourist in my own city,” that quote can’t be more true! I can’t help but admire the beautiful architecture. The most recurring spot I end up going to and perhaps the most prominent structure in Millennium Park is the Cloud Gate aka The Bean. After I shoot at the Bean I usually walk to the Lurie Garden or one of the many sidewalks nearby.

1. Chicago River Walk

My favorite location to take pictures is the Chicago River Walk. Since the Riverwalk is near the middle of downtown, it’s very easy to go to other locations such as Lake Michigan or Michigan Avenue. Also since the Blue Line stop is nearby it’s very easy to get to other places in the city. My favorite time to shoot is at night when the lights along the Chicago River come on. The images look much more dramatic at night.

I have shared my top 10 photoshoot locations with all of you, but that shouldn’t stop you from exploring the city yourself. Grab a camera and some friends and just have a good time!

Hi, I'm Daniela. I'm a Sociology major with a minor in Criminology and Business Administration. I have been involved with Her Campus since my freshmen year, working in editorial, marketing, and social media. As president of Her Campus UIC, I am excited to see our chapter grow throughout my last year here.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.