Taylor Street’s Finest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

In the heart of Chicago, lies one of the most well known areas of all times, Taylor Street. The busy buzzing street on the UIC campus is the home for excellent Italian food, fun college bars, and a diverse group of friendly college students. Also known as “Little Italy,” Taylor Street has some of the finest restaurants and eat outs ranging from exquisite and more pricy places such as Tuscany and Francesca’s, to places such as Al’s Italian Beef and Mario’s Italian Lemonade which have been recognized from television as Chicago’s must goes.

Taylor Street is definitely one of the best places to meet all sorts of people. Little Joes, one of Taylor Street’s most loved family owned bars is a small hole in the wall where you will see people walk in with their casual sweats and shorts on a week day to meet their friends for the usual $5 pitchers of beer. Karaoke, quiz night, Bears games; they have it all. That’s not all, but our very own college frat boys, Dj Haro and Dj Haki “spin” music at Vintage and The Bar Ten Doors, two places where you will definitely spot some of our UIC campus cuties. Partying is big part of college, but the other thing our UIC students love is that late night pizza at Taylor Made Pizza and the juicy burgers at Busy Burger. 

Taylor Street is a hub for food and liquor. With Rosebud and Hawkeyes’ Bar and Grill right around the corner, who would want to go anywhere else? My personal favorite is Leona’s with their buttery bread, fresh salad and scrumptious shrimp fettuccini.

An applause is much needed for the restaurants that try to add a little zest and change in cuisine such as the Taj Mahal serving their mouth watering Indian “samosas” and Thai Bowl with their excellent “pork pad Thai.” The newest additions, Flirty Cupcakes and Skinnie Piggy Candy are for all of you who have a sweet tooth and love creamy icing.

Winter is always beautiful, but what is more wonderful is the bright sunny summer days where you will see people walking up and down the street almost all day enjoying a quick run to L.A. Tan and then a huge cup of Mario’s Italian Lemonade. These are some places and things that you just have to do as a resident of Taylor Street. In the summer especially, Ralph’s Cigar and Gentile’s wine shop are the two of my favorite spots for some good old cigars and some fruitful wine tasting.

These are a few of everyone’s much loved things around the UIC campus and if you haven’t tried any of these places yet, now is the time to go explore them and get a taste of the truly amazing UIC. 

Mannat Singh is a senior at UIC majoring in Criminology, Law and Justice and Economics. She is an extremely open person who loves to make new friends and have fun. She loves to experience something new everyday. She lived in India all her life until her freshmen year of college and has loved Chicago ever since. #Chicityalltheway
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.