Spring Break Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Even though you’re not going to the Caribbean or some other hot oasis for spring break, you can still enjoy your break and do new and exciting things. Take advantage of being young and living in one of the greatest cities in the world! Or simply enjoy the fact that you have a week of nothing to do and finally relax before the end of the semester. Either way, make your spring break eventful with memories that will last longer than a tan.

Have a movie marathon
Combat the boredom of a rainy day by having an all day movie marathon with your friends. Stay in your pj’s, make popcorn, and watch some of the classics. Have all your friends bring their favorite movie and enjoy a perfect day. Make up for all those late nights studying by doing nothing but relaxing, crying to The Notebook and laughing to Mean Girls. I recommend renting Fight Club, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Airplane.

Take up a new hobby
I have always wanted to start scrapbooking, but never have the time. Spring break is the perfect time to finally do that craft or activity you’ve been dying to try. If you need ideas, spend some time on StumbleUpon.com or Pinterest.com. They have enough things to keep you occupied for days! Learn calligraphy, start a scrapbook, paint your room, or even finish a Rubik’s cube. Accomplishing something you’ve always wanted to will make you feel empowered to do more once school resumes.

Try out a new recipe
Between TV and the internet, there are thousands of amazing recipes that we rarely get to try because of school and the fact that most of us are broke college students. Use the money you saved by going on a lavish trip by making a feast with your friends, family, or boyfriend. Go all out! Make pasta from scratch or an elaborate dessert. Cooking is proven to relieve stress and it is super fun. You’ll have a delicious reward at the end of all your hard work!

Explore Chicago
In my opinion, Chicago is the most amazing city in the world. It is upsetting that school takes up so much of our time that we cannot explore as much as we would like! Your U-pass is still activated during spring break, so use that to your advantage and roam around the city to places you have never been before. Do all the cheesy tourist-y things, like go to the bean or to the Lincoln Park Zoo, but also explore the depths this city has to offer! You could end up finding your new favorite book store or coffee shop. Don’t forget to bring your camera to document your adventure!