Songs for a Break-up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Everyone has to go through them. My mother once told me, “You have to go through the weeds to get to the flower.”

A break-up brings up many emotions, including sadness, happiness, and triumph. It’s ok to cry it out and it’s even better to rock it out. Here are some tracks to get you through your heartbreak.

1.    The problems begin – Gwen Stefani’s “4 In the Morning”

Sometimes you just want to be heard. You know the problems are there and wonder why he won’t listen. In this song by Gwen Stefani, she yearns for her lover to work harder in their relationship. This is a great song to receive comfort from when you’re having relationship communication problems.

2.    Cry it out – Adele’s “Someone Like You”

So he left you or you left him – you can get through it. It hurts, and that’s ok – let it hurt. Never forget those memories, but know that you can find someone just as good, if not better. Adele’s vulnerability is at its highest in this song but later seems to escape her by singing of her loss. This is a great track to let it all out to.

3.  Acceptance – Britney Spear’s “Why Should I Be Sad”

Why should you be sad? Most relationships you have at this age are not going to work out. Take these lessons, learn from them, and move on. Ms. Spears realized her need to move on from her ex by singing the lyrics, “It’s time for me to move along – goodbye – it’s time for me to get along – okay – I’m tired of singing sad songs.” So say goodbye and keep on trucking.

4.  Liberation – Kelis’ “Emancipate”

You’re free! Be happy and start your single life after you grieved properly. Dance away the pain and always repeat and remember what Kelis says in this liberating song, “Like the phoenix from the ashes or a sunrise off in the distance, I’ll try again, I’ll try again.”