The Smartest Way To Save Up Your Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Money, the worst and best part of becoming an adult. A big part of our independence comes from being able to support ourselves financially. On one side, money allows us to get the things we want. This includes makeup, clothes, concert tickets, jewelry, and flight tickets pretty much things that are for ourselves. We need these things because we love to pamper ourselves. This is a good thing because we need to do so, and it makes us feel satisfied. If your thing is skateboarding, then you know that you need to buy a new skateboard once one is damaged, or if you are into making vlogs on makeup tutorials, then you know that you must buy makeup. You spent all year working hard and studying, you know you deserve that two-week vacation to Jamaica. You need that Saturday night out with your friends. They are simply some things that we deserve.

Image from Pexels: Money

Of course, everything needs to come with a balance. It is not good to have a shopping addiction, but it also isn’t healthy to not treat yourself once in a while. Responsibilities always need to come first, and everyone’s priorities are different. If you know that you have hospital bills to pay for a relative, or that you want to become a monthly donor for St. Jude, need to buy a car, need to pay a high rent, or need to pay for your dog’s surgery, then you must put those expenses first. 

Image from Pexels: Balance

The tricky part is knowing when and when not to spend money on yourself. It simply depends on what’s left after you have put your money into your priorities. You also need to know how much you making. If you know that you have to pay your rent and bills when you’re only working part-time, you have to make sacrifices. This is where you have to realize that no matter how much you want to buy the new Urban Decay eyeshadow palette that just came out, you either have to buy a cheaper eyeshadow palette or skip it. It will seem unfair, and you really want to look cute in it, but you have to decide would you rather have a change in look or avoid getting in trouble with your landlord? 

Image from Pexels: Makeup

Just like we watch what we eat, what television series to watch, what to wear, being thoughtful about your money will allow you be financially wise. Over time, it won’t feel like a burden because you would have been able to build your life around your financial budget instead of living paycheck to paycheck. Be kind to yourself and your wallet.

I am a creative person who enjoys learning about the ways in which art can take different forms. My passions include learning about issues that effect our lives; things ranging from politics, media, culture, music, art, philosophy, technology, or education. I am a Chicago native and an undergraduate student at UIC majoring in English and minoring in Film.
UIC Contributor.