sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Review of Zayn’s Mind of MIne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As many are aware, Zayn Malik split from One Direction a year ago.

On March 25, 2016, Zayn released his first solo album and it flew to the top of the charts (as expected). With 6 out of 18 tracks being explicit, you could say Zayn is all grown up now.

Here’s a track by track review of Zayn’s album:

1. MiNd Of MiNdd (Intro)

This is the opener to his album, with the song only being a total of 0:57 seconds long. This short snippet is just his way of saying that these songs represent his mind..

2. PILLOWTALK

Being one of his explicit songs, this was definitely made for a more mature audience. Honestly, I would have to say this is one of his best tracks so far. PILLOWTALK climbed to the top of the charts and stayed there for multiple weeks. The radio is eating up this song (the clean version, that is). But lets be honest, the explicit version is more fun.

3. iT’s YoU

Another explicit song, as well as another one of his gems. This song is a slow ballad that has caught the attention of many. This sweet, love song is the type of song that you would listen to one a rainy day while crying about that dumb boy that you want but probably isn’t the one for you. Again, this one’s a personal fave.

4. BeFoUr

“I’ve done this before, not like this” is the opening to this song. And yes Zayn, I couldn’t agree more. This song is like the anthem for this album. I feel like this song is a response to 1D in a way, saying “say what you wanna, say what you wanna now.” Basically his way of saying #sorrynotsorry

5. sHe

Upbeat and fun, this song is for sure to be one of the next singles. This song is another love song, but in a whole new way. If you’re looking for a song to jam out to while driving with your windows down, this one’s it! I know I have a lot of favorites, but this one just has to be on the list.

6. dRuNk

Just by the title itself, one could assume Zayn is no longer that innocent little boy band member he once was. This song is one of his slower songs but the vibe is so chill. Again, another love song…probably inspired by his girl, Gigi!

7. INTERMISSION: fLoWer

Written for his father, this song is completely in Urdu. Although I cannot understand what the lyrics are, this is one of my favorites from the album as well because how sweet of him to write a song in his father’s native language! Plus, this song is just so calming.

Check out this article from Bustle for more information about the song!

8. rEaR vIeW

Another slower song on the album, this song is a hit or miss for me. The lyrics are sweet and the song all in all is well put together, but I can’t say it’s a fave.

9. wRoNg (feat. Kehlani)

This song, on the other hand, is one of the best ones on the album. Explicit and sexy, this song is definitely gold. Zayn is basically, from my understanding, singing about just wanting sex and the woman wanting love. Kehlani comes in and sings from a female perspective about not wanting love either, just the physical stuff. This song is mysterious and just so so so sexy.

10. fOoL fOr YoU

This song was definitely written for Gigi and if it wasn’t, I’m really upset! A slow, sweet love ballad shows the super soft side of Zayn (which after hearing wRoNg might be needed). This song makes me smile uncontrollably every time I play it really loud. I think this song definitely shows off his vocal abilities very well.

11. BoRdErZ

This song is another slower paced song, it’s definitely a lot of fun. I wouldn’t pin this song as one of the best on the album but it shows how far he has come since 1D.

14. TiO

This song!!! It’s one of my absolute faves, it’s just so sexy. A lot of Zayn’s songs seem to be about sex… but I’m not complaining! I’d have to say, this song probably has one of the best beats on the whole album. This song is just such a great track, just check it out and experience it for yourself.

16. BRIGHT

One of the last explicit songs on the album, this song is just so much fun! I absolutely love the build up of this song. I don’t know why but I feel like Zayn was mad when he recorded this song, it’s just so intense!

17. LIKE I WOULD

This song is basically Zayn telling some girl that he could love her better than the guy she’s with. I love the beat to this song and how it goes from a lyrical, slower sound to upbeat. This song is very layered and musically intense. Again, a fave for sure!

18. SHE DON’T LOVE ME

Basically the song of a heartbroken man, this song speaks about how a girl doesn’t love him so he messes around. I think this song is very relatable for many college students. Love is hard and this song is basically the anthem for that! Plus it’s pretty catchy!

NOTE: Not every song is listed because I didn’t feel like I couldn’t write a review on songs that I haven’t listened to more than once.

Not listed:

12. tRuTh

13. IUcOzAdE

15. BLUE

Student at University of Illinois at Chicago
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.