Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Blog

Terrifyingly Haunted Houses

By Jennifer Hebeisen, Melissa Taylor
October 18, 2013 - 10:51pm

As Halloween draws closer this Fall, everyone starts thinking about what they’re going to do. What’s Halloween without something scary? We picked some of the scariest haunted houses around for you and your friends to experience. But choose wisely because it could scare you for a lifetime. These haunted houses are well known in the area and well worth the journey, but you're sure to be terrified.  READ MORE

Apple Picking Near Chicago

By Jennifer Hebeisen, Melissa Taylor
October 11, 2013 - 8:19pm

To make this Fall season even more enjoyable, we suggest gathering up your favorite friends/family and heading out to a seasonal apple orchard to pick apples before they’re all gone! With cooler weather moving in, you’re just in the knick of time to go apple picking. The apple orchards listed below have individual websites with all the information you’ll need including the types of apples for your connoisseur taste! See which orchard strikes your fancy, grab your cutest scarf, and have fun walking through the orchards in search of the perfect apple!  READ MORE

Five Books to Read This Fall

By Alex Griparis
October 5, 2013 - 7:57pm

All those crisp Fall days when you’re curled up with a cozy sweater and a pumpkin flavored something-or-other would be so much better with the perfect book. These five are great and pretty fast reads that won’t overtake midterms and homework. Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion
Written in 1970, this novel is about main character Maria and the sequence of events that led her to a neuropsychiatric hospital. This book is beautifully written, but I must admit very sad. Despite that, it’s a must read for every girl in her 20s trying to figure out life. READ MORE

Music Blog: Sink Your Teeth into Another Fall Release

By Meaghan Lee
October 5, 2013 - 7:06pm

Let’s get down to gristle. After swallowing 16-year-old Lorde’s salty single “Royals,” it’s time to chew on the rest of her debut. Pure Heroine crept in last week, sneaking past New Zealand’s curfews and into the States (aren’t we lucky). READ MORE

Beauty Tips for Healthier Skin

By Jennifer Hebeisen, Melissa Taylor
October 1, 2013 - 8:00am

Nothing is better than having healthy, glowing skin! With seasons changing, most of us find our skin being very uncooperative and drying out. As we face these issues ourselves, we thought we would send a few useful tips your way to help bring back your healthy, glowing skin! Keep in mind these tips are aimed towards normal skin, so if you have very sensitive skin, be careful which products you use. Try and find gentler substitutes to use from companies such as Aveeno, Simple, etc.  READ MORE

Music Blog: Under the Weight of Living?

By Meaghan Lee
September 30, 2013 - 8:00am

Hello readers, As we’re heading into week 6, I can honestly say that the semester is starting to take a toll on me. About 1/3 of the way through, the simplicity of syllabus week and time spent coasting the few weeks after is over. There are whispers of midterms and temperature teases in the air. Maybe I’m not alone in feeling the need for an escape. READ MORE

Coconut Magic

By Alex Griparis
September 23, 2013 - 3:50pm

Being healthy is a priority for a lot of us, but it’s harder than it seems. Sometimes our food and beauty products are packed with harsh chemicals that are bad for our body- inside and out. The best thing to have in your kitchen and medicine cabinet is a jar of virgin coconut oil. This basically is the equivalent of a magic potion, and it’s insanely affordable. There are countless uses for coconut oil, which eliminates the need for several expensive beauty products.   Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil: $7             READ MORE

Music Blog: Go Ahead, Spread Some “Rumours”

By Meaghan Lee
September 20, 2013 - 5:19pm

I know when we're younger, we're taught to shun any form of gossiping. However, I'd like to temporarily break that elementary code of ethics to disclose my thoughts on Grouplove's sophomore album, "Spreading Rumours." As I mentioned last week, “Spreading Rumours” is hot off the vinyl press, with its fresh release last Tuesday. With a blend of spunk and sophistication, Grouplove has progressed in an “appropriate” fashion-keeping the "screech-easy" fun and indie hippie vibe alive while amping up the pop rock and polish. READ MORE

5 Fall Festivals You Don't Want to Miss!

By Alex Griparis
September 16, 2013 - 3:02pm

It’s a new school year which means new events and things to do in this wonderful city. Chicago definitely does not disappoint this year, so be sure to check out some of these great events! Lakeview Taco Fest September 21-22, 12pm-10pm Start the first day of fall with some delicious tacos. There will be over 6 different Chicago area vendors as well as beer pairings for each taco. Tacos and beer?  I’d say it’s the perfect way to start the season.  This fest is on Southport between Addison & Newport, don’t miss it! READ MORE

Break Time with Netflix!

By Melissa Taylor, Jennifer Hebeisen
September 13, 2013 - 3:06pm

Being almost a quarter of the way into the Fall semester, homework has definitely begun to pile up and students are settling into their respective study routines. We thought we’d help make those flash cards easier to write and math problems easier to finish by suggesting some movies on Netflix that would make perfect study breaks. After all, it has been shown that studying is most effective when you take a break every fifteen minutes (your brain is better able to concentrate and less likely to become exhausted)! So grab your study materials and use these awesome movies to help balance all of that calculus you’re trying to cram into your brain. READ MORE