Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Blog

Music Blog: Destinations

By Meaghan Lee
April 10, 2013 - 10:12am

I must credit the sunny city of Tucson, Arizona for my inspiration in writing this week’s article. While our official spring break has come and gone, I am lucky to be extending mine slightly. Still, for most UIC students, a longer break remains a mere month away! Summer provides a perfect outlet for travel, relaxation, and of course, listening to music that complements these. (photo taken by me) READ MORE

5 Perfect Nail Polish Colors for Spring

By Rachel Ehrenberg
April 10, 2013 - 10:04am

When I think of spring, a couple things come to mind. Warm weather, Easter, and bright, pastel colors! This time of the year is always the best. We know that in a couple of months we’ll be on the beach, soaking up the sun, and everyone is in a good mood. Just recently I was at the nail salon and saw the array of beautiful, bright colors, which inspired me to write this article. I’m a big fan of O.P.I and Essie and that’s mainly where I picked these from. Enjoy and I hope you try some of these out for yourself! READ MORE

Music Blog: Lolla Lolla La

By Meaghan Lee
April 2, 2013 - 9:00am

All the buzz this week seems to lie in the pending lineup for Chicago’s hottest weekend of the summer. I’m of course referring to Lollapalooza 2013! The massive music fest will take place from August 2-4. Fans of all musical backgrounds will congregate once again in Grant Park, donning the finest festival gear and eagerly awaiting the sea of performers. Lucky for those impatient concert goers, the Chicago Tribune has confirmed four all-star headliners for the event: Mumford & Sons I Will Wait   Phoenix Entertainment READ MORE

Beauty Events in Chicago

By Francesca Dreesen
April 1, 2013 - 5:31am

What could be better to lighten up one of the least favorite days of the week, than makeovers and beauty products? Our city offers many beauty events multiple days a week and it is up to us to take advantage of these.  READ MORE

Spring Up Your Wardrobe

By Alex Griparis
March 20, 2013 - 8:00pm

Despite the frigid weather we are still having in Chicago, spring is right around the corner! Spruce up your closet this season with these five pieces to get in the spring spirit! Black & White
Black and white is always in style, but this season is everywhere. Inspired by this Oscar de la Renta gown, give yourself a neutral base to layer fun, spring accessories. Since it’s probably frowned upon going to class in this gorgeous frock, try this cute peplum top option from Forever21 instead. READ MORE

5 Tips to Stay Stress-Free Through Mid-Terms

By Rachel Ehrenberg
March 17, 2013 - 11:06pm

1. BREATHE  It's as simple as that. A lot of the time we dwell on everything that we have to do and study for, and we end up overwhelming ourselves more than necessary. If you give yourself 10 minutes a day during mid-term week to turn off your phone, tv, and computer to sit back and relax, in the end you'll thank yourself. It may be hard to let go for those 10 minutes because you feel like you need to constantly be studying, but it helps clear your mind and bring you back to reality. Yes, mid-terms are an important part of your grade, but you shouldn't let a piece of paper take over your life.  READ MORE

Music Blog: Midterm Medicine

By Meaghan Lee
March 15, 2013 - 1:27am

Hello, HerCampus readers! With midterms approaching and most of you buried under books or pouring that fifth cup of coffee, a brief music break is well warranted. Procrastinate with two videos I stumbled upon that shout awesome! Animation Station: “Safe and Sound” by Capital Cities READ MORE

DIY for St. Patrick’s Day

By Jennifer Hebeisen, Melissa Taylor
March 15, 2013 - 12:04am

Looking for a low-key St. Patrick’s Day? Here are some tips to make your St. Patty’s Day as Irish as you please. Start your lucky day off right by making some green eggs and ham or pour yourself a bowl of Lucky Charms, complete with milk dyed green. Don’t have enough green threads to rock? Dye your extra white shirt green by purchasing green fabric dye. Tint it your favorite shade or look up simple instructions for how to tye-dye it. While at the store, why not grab some green nail polish! Sea-foam and Mint green nails are the hottest trend right now. READ MORE

5 Easy and Free Ways to Improve Your Skin

By Rachel Ehrenberg
March 13, 2013 - 1:14pm

1.      GET SLEEP!  Ever wonder why there’s a saying, “I need my beauty sleep”? Because sleep is cosmetic medicine! Everyone NEEDS 8-9 hours of sleep, no matter what we say we can handle. When we get enough sleep, we feel more energetic and ready to take on the day. And when we don’t get those 8-9 hours, we barely function. It’s been said that just about every system in our body is affected by the amount of sleep we get each night. No one wants to feel like a zombie, or look like one. The bags under your eyes will disappear and your skin will look brighter. READ MORE

A Guy on Guys: Advice for Us, Part 1

By Nathan Oelker
March 12, 2013 - 4:26pm

Guys can be extremely hard to read. Many of us are quite stoic, so we can be incredibly difficult to understand emotionally. Sometimes it’s impossible to know what we’re thinking. I know these things about guys, because, I’ll confess: I am one. And because we can be barely decipherable to women, I have some simple facts that will definitely help any one of them navigate the male psyche. Whether it’s a friend, mild crush, long-term boyfriend, or even a relative, these following points will help you understand and improve relationships with the important men in your life. 1. Some of Us Like Your Opinions READ MORE