Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Blog

5 Tips to Stay Stress-Free Through Mid-Terms

By Rachel Ehrenberg
March 17, 2013 - 11:06pm

1. BREATHE  It's as simple as that. A lot of the time we dwell on everything that we have to do and study for, and we end up overwhelming ourselves more than necessary. If you give yourself 10 minutes a day during mid-term week to turn off your phone, tv, and computer to sit back and relax, in the end you'll thank yourself. It may be hard to let go for those 10 minutes because you feel like you need to constantly be studying, but it helps clear your mind and bring you back to reality. Yes, mid-terms are an important part of your grade, but you shouldn't let a piece of paper take over your life.  READ MORE

Music Blog: Midterm Medicine

By Meaghan Lee
March 15, 2013 - 1:27am

Hello, HerCampus readers! With midterms approaching and most of you buried under books or pouring that fifth cup of coffee, a brief music break is well warranted. Procrastinate with two videos I stumbled upon that shout awesome! Animation Station: “Safe and Sound” by Capital Cities READ MORE

DIY for St. Patrick’s Day

By Jennifer Hebeisen, Melissa Taylor
March 15, 2013 - 12:04am

Looking for a low-key St. Patrick’s Day? Here are some tips to make your St. Patty’s Day as Irish as you please. Start your lucky day off right by making some green eggs and ham or pour yourself a bowl of Lucky Charms, complete with milk dyed green. Don’t have enough green threads to rock? Dye your extra white shirt green by purchasing green fabric dye. Tint it your favorite shade or look up simple instructions for how to tye-dye it. While at the store, why not grab some green nail polish! Sea-foam and Mint green nails are the hottest trend right now. READ MORE

5 Easy and Free Ways to Improve Your Skin

By Rachel Ehrenberg
March 13, 2013 - 1:14pm

1.      GET SLEEP!  Ever wonder why there’s a saying, “I need my beauty sleep”? Because sleep is cosmetic medicine! Everyone NEEDS 8-9 hours of sleep, no matter what we say we can handle. When we get enough sleep, we feel more energetic and ready to take on the day. And when we don’t get those 8-9 hours, we barely function. It’s been said that just about every system in our body is affected by the amount of sleep we get each night. No one wants to feel like a zombie, or look like one. The bags under your eyes will disappear and your skin will look brighter.   READ MORE

A Guy on Guys: Advice for Us, Part 1

By Nathan Oelker
March 12, 2013 - 4:26pm

Guys can be extremely hard to read. Many of us are quite stoic, so we can be incredibly difficult to understand emotionally. Sometimes it’s impossible to know what we’re thinking. I know these things about guys, because, I’ll confess: I am one. And because we can be barely decipherable to women, I have some simple facts that will definitely help any one of them navigate the male psyche. Whether it’s a friend, mild crush, long-term boyfriend, or even a relative, these following points will help you understand and improve relationships with the important men in your life. 1. Some of Us Like Your Opinions READ MORE

Music Blog: In Bloom

By Meaghan Lee
March 11, 2013 - 11:12pm

Yes, the weather outside is frightful. As we approach mid March, still waking up to snow covered, well everything, I’m confident in my plea for some musical bloom. The groundhog must have a very dismal taste in music. Let’s shake him up a bit! Here are ten inspired songs to help you think spring. READ MORE

5 Nutrition Tips for a Healthier You

By Rachel Ehrenberg
March 7, 2013 - 11:22pm

1.      Know hat you’re Eating A lot of the times people aren’t really sure what the serving sizes are for the foods they eat. A helpful way to watch what you’re eating is by looking at the Nutrition Facts Panel on the food labels. The five things that a company is required to include on their labels are; serving size and servings per container, calories per serving and calories from fat per serving, list of nutrients, percent daily values (%DV), and a footnote for the daily values. Be aware of those and it will lead to smarter choices! READ MORE

Best and Worst Jobs For College Girls

By Francesca Dreesen
March 7, 2013 - 9:00am

We all know that being a full-time student can be hard when you also need to work. Whether you need to pay for your own tuition or need some extra money, believe it or not there are certain jobs that are better than others. If you want a job that is good for your schedule and gives you time to get your schoolwork done, consider these awesome part-time jobs. Do: Receptionist- being a receptionist is a wonderful opportunity to build your communication skills. It will prepare you for a future career. You will most likely have a set schedule, which is ideal for organizing your life. Some jobs will even let you do your homework during downtime. Finally you wont go home exhausted from being on your feet all day. ...

Steer Away from the Fear of Collapse

By Elif Geris
February 28, 2013 - 11:19pm

Follow the long, twinkling guitar riffs far into the distance, and into the trap where sirens call you with Metric’s “Speed the Collapse.” Let the riffs embrace you as you lie taking in the blue above. Take off running as Emily Haines lifts you high at the end of the path with her hopeful vocals. “Out of my way!” should be the words that emanate from your throat, and into the crowd’s ears as you fight to the end of the week, with fire shooting out of your palms. Don’t crash beneath the storm that falls in the coming weeks. READ MORE

Music Blog: Brooklyn Boys and Black Sun

By Meaghan Lee
February 28, 2013 - 5:06pm

This week was packed with music, so I thought I would do a double feature! Read on to get the scoop on two bands making waves on our radar. Last Monday evening I had the pleasure of retreating into a musical abyss, courtesy of Bottom Lounge. This offbeat venue housed a perfect fit, the cool and unclassified boys from Brooklyn, Ambassadors. Built around brotherhood, the indie four-piece generates a loud and layered sound that borrows bits from multiple genres including funk, soul and dance rock. Growing up in a musical household, brothers Sam (vocals and back up guitar) and Casey Harris (keyboard) started the band, adding friend Noah on lead guitar and eventually Adam Levin on drums. READ MORE...