Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Blog

Sweetest Cupcakes in Chicago

By Francesca Dreesen
May 10, 2013 - 10:12am

I’ve gone from Lakeview to Tri Traylor to Downtown, tasting many sweet confections from the most noted bakeries in Chicago. It was a delicious few weeks because I was able to try the best cupcakes anyone could imagine. I’d like to share my favorites that you can treat yourself to anytime you have a sweet tooth. ENJOY! Magnolia Bakery Best Texture-
This cupcake is deliciously crispy and fluffy at the same time. It tastes 
like it is fresh out of the oven and topped with a pillowing frosting. READ MORE

5 Summer Essentials

By Alex Griparis
April 29, 2013 - 7:08pm

Even though the weather doesn’t make it seem so, summer is on its way here! With only three weeks left of the semester, start thinking of North Avenue Beach and Mario’s Italian ice to get you through the next couple weeks! Once the glorious summer season arrives, make sure you have these 5 essentials! Garnier Dry Body/Hair Oil
The intense heat that Chicago endures leaves your hair and skin super dry. This spray on oil is packed with moisturizers and antioxidants to leave hair and skin moisturized and glowing. Also, the magic of dry oil is that it doesn’t leave your hair or skin greasy so you can use it any time! This is perfect after a long day at the beach. READ MORE

Music Blog: What's Your "Tunnel Song"?

By Meaghan Lee
April 26, 2013 - 12:48am

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, starring Logan Miller, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller, came out long enough ago that I’m shamed in admitting my first viewing happened only recently. While I don’t want to rewrite a plot summary of the film, I will address a scene of significant and of course, musical inspiration. Those who have seen Perks before may be familiar with the “tunnel scene.” The major characters embark on a nighttime joy ride. As they speed through the tunnel and into the city lights, magic ensues. David Bowie’s “Heroes” blasts, an anthem that parallels the youth and the pure thrill of being. This moment makes the characters feel alive, feel infinite. READ MORE

Music Blog: “Give In” to the Band of the Week

By Meaghan Lee
April 22, 2013 - 11:27pm

Who is On An On? Well, HC readers, meet indie trio formed by husband and wife, Nate Eisland and Alissa Ricci and their friend, Ryne Estwing. I first saw this Chicago-nurtured group as Scattered Trees when they opened for Two Door Cinema Club two years ago. After visiting the Windy City again this December and March to play Schuba’s Tavern, their tour picked up heat at the renowned SXSW festival in Texas as Time magazine’s #1 “New Band to See." READ MORE

5 Ways to Go Green on Earth Day

By Jennifer Hebeisen, Melissa Taylor
April 22, 2013 - 8:21am

Here at UIC, we celebrate Earth by devoting an entire month to it. Here are 5 ways you can be green during Earth month!  1.) Better World Books -- donate old/new books you no longer need to better the literacy of the Earth. Better World Books strives to put literacy within reach of people around the world. Grab books and put them in the designated drop boxes located in SCE, Library, UH, TBH, BSB, JST, Honors College, student dorms (CMN, CMW, CMS).   All day April 1, 2013-May 10, 2013. It’s that simple to make a difference. http://www.betterworldbooks.co... READ MORE

I Know Jane's Name our Shoes Contest!

By Claudia Martinez
April 19, 2013 - 6:12pm

Hi HC readers, READ MORE

Music Blog: 2 Songs to Soldier On

By Meaghan Lee
April 15, 2013 - 9:13pm

HerCampus readers, Need a pick-me-up track to combat the chronic gloom of our Chicago climate? Or how about two? Grab your toughest rain gear and headphones, and challenge the muck and murk with this pair of spurring songs. 1. “Big Red Dragon” This first track hails from the debut album of Little Green Cars, Absolute Zero. The Irish five-piece delivers a unique blend of rock and ballad that dips and drives towards a bridge of harmonies wielding enough power to lift even the heaviest clouds. This twofold charm only increases as you venture through the rest of the album. READ MORE

5 Books to Read This Spring

By Alex Griparis
April 13, 2013 - 1:25pm

With spring here and school almost over, a lot of us are about to have much more free time on our hands. Grab one (or all) of these 5 books to take with you to the beach or park to read on a sunny day. There's about to be a lot more of them soon! Don't forget to take advantage of Chicago Public Libraries to read all these books for free.   READ MORE

Unusual Ways to Celebrate Spring in Chicago Area

By Melissa Taylor, Jennifer Hebeisen
April 11, 2013 - 11:06pm

It looks like winter is over in Chicago! It's time to celebrate the new warmer weather and shake off those winter blues. Here are some unusual ways to do just that:  Color Festival Did you miss the Color Run in Chicago this year? Don't worry, we've got the next best thing: The Color Festival in Naperville. Gather in the park with friends and strangers alike to throw colors and celebrate the arrival of spring . The event provides free food and drink, shopping, and music. The colored powder is safe and provided for only $2 a bag. This event begins at 11 a.m. and ends at 4 p.m. For more details check out their website: http://www.thefestivalofcolors......

Music Blog: Destinations

By Meaghan Lee
April 10, 2013 - 10:12am

I must credit the sunny city of Tucson, Arizona for my inspiration in writing this week’s article. While our official spring break has come and gone, I am lucky to be extending mine slightly. Still, for most UIC students, a longer break remains a mere month away! Summer provides a perfect outlet for travel, relaxation, and of course, listening to music that complements these. (photo taken by me) READ MORE