Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Blog

5 Ways to Go Green on Earth Day

By Jennifer Hebeisen, Melissa Taylor
April 22, 2013 - 8:21am

Here at UIC, we celebrate Earth by devoting an entire month to it. Here are 5 ways you can be green during Earth month!  1.) Better World Books -- donate old/new books you no longer need to better the literacy of the Earth. Better World Books strives to put literacy within reach of people around the world. Grab books and put them in the designated drop boxes located in SCE, Library, UH, TBH, BSB, JST, Honors College, student dorms (CMN, CMW, CMS).   All day April 1, 2013-May 10, 2013. It’s that simple to make a difference. http://www.betterworldbooks.co... READ MORE

I Know Jane's Name our Shoes Contest!

By Claudia Martinez
April 19, 2013 - 6:12pm

Hi HC readers, READ MORE

Music Blog: 2 Songs to Soldier On

By Meaghan Lee
April 15, 2013 - 9:13pm

HerCampus readers, Need a pick-me-up track to combat the chronic gloom of our Chicago climate? Or how about two? Grab your toughest rain gear and headphones, and challenge the muck and murk with this pair of spurring songs. 1. “Big Red Dragon” This first track hails from the debut album of Little Green Cars, Absolute Zero. The Irish five-piece delivers a unique blend of rock and ballad that dips and drives towards a bridge of harmonies wielding enough power to lift even the heaviest clouds. This twofold charm only increases as you venture through the rest of the album. READ MORE

5 Books to Read This Spring

By Alex Griparis
April 13, 2013 - 1:25pm

With spring here and school almost over, a lot of us are about to have much more free time on our hands. Grab one (or all) of these 5 books to take with you to the beach or park to read on a sunny day. There's about to be a lot more of them soon! Don't forget to take advantage of Chicago Public Libraries to read all these books for free.   READ MORE

Unusual Ways to Celebrate Spring in Chicago Area

By Melissa Taylor, Jennifer Hebeisen
April 11, 2013 - 11:06pm

It looks like winter is over in Chicago! It's time to celebrate the new warmer weather and shake off those winter blues. Here are some unusual ways to do just that:  Color Festival Did you miss the Color Run in Chicago this year? Don't worry, we've got the next best thing: The Color Festival in Naperville. Gather in the park with friends and strangers alike to throw colors and celebrate the arrival of spring . The event provides free food and drink, shopping, and music. The colored powder is safe and provided for only $2 a bag. This event begins at 11 a.m. and ends at 4 p.m. For more details check out their website: http://www.thefestivalofcolors......

Music Blog: Destinations

By Meaghan Lee
April 10, 2013 - 10:12am

I must credit the sunny city of Tucson, Arizona for my inspiration in writing this week’s article. While our official spring break has come and gone, I am lucky to be extending mine slightly. Still, for most UIC students, a longer break remains a mere month away! Summer provides a perfect outlet for travel, relaxation, and of course, listening to music that complements these. (photo taken by me) READ MORE

5 Perfect Nail Polish Colors for Spring

By Rachel Ehrenberg
April 10, 2013 - 10:04am

When I think of spring, a couple things come to mind. Warm weather, Easter, and bright, pastel colors! This time of the year is always the best. We know that in a couple of months we’ll be on the beach, soaking up the sun, and everyone is in a good mood. Just recently I was at the nail salon and saw the array of beautiful, bright colors, which inspired me to write this article. I’m a big fan of O.P.I and Essie and that’s mainly where I picked these from. Enjoy and I hope you try some of these out for yourself! READ MORE

Music Blog: Lolla Lolla La

By Meaghan Lee
April 2, 2013 - 9:00am

All the buzz this week seems to lie in the pending lineup for Chicago’s hottest weekend of the summer. I’m of course referring to Lollapalooza 2013! The massive music fest will take place from August 2-4. Fans of all musical backgrounds will congregate once again in Grant Park, donning the finest festival gear and eagerly awaiting the sea of performers. Lucky for those impatient concert goers, the Chicago Tribune has confirmed four all-star headliners for the event: Mumford & Sons I Will Wait   Phoenix Entertainment READ MORE

Beauty Events in Chicago

By Francesca Dreesen
April 1, 2013 - 5:31am

What could be better to lighten up one of the least favorite days of the week, than makeovers and beauty products? Our city offers many beauty events multiple days a week and it is up to us to take advantage of these.  READ MORE

Spring Up Your Wardrobe

By Alex Griparis
March 20, 2013 - 8:00pm

Despite the frigid weather we are still having in Chicago, spring is right around the corner! Spruce up your closet this season with these five pieces to get in the spring spirit! Black & White
Black and white is always in style, but this season is everywhere. Inspired by this Oscar de la Renta gown, give yourself a neutral base to layer fun, spring accessories. Since it’s probably frowned upon going to class in this gorgeous frock, try this cute peplum top option from Forever21 instead. READ MORE