Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Blog

Out With Summer And In With School

By Jennifer Hebeisen, Melissa Taylor
September 6, 2013 - 9:29pm

No matter what you do, you cannot avoid the impending transition back into school mode. While it can be difficult to say goodbye to summer, we're here to help you out with the shift from your laid back, relaxed summer to hitting the books and being studious. It's time to blow the dust off your school supplies and get back into the swing of things. Here are some tips to help you start the Fall semester off right. READ MORE

Music Blog: Don't Hate, Cultivate

By Meaghan Lee
September 4, 2013 - 12:53am

Hello HerCampus readers and welcome back to another school year. What better way to celebrate the abrupt return of academia than a party! What would you say if everyone’s favorite eatery, Chipotle, catered that party? Music would be provided by awesome acts like Walk the Moon, Youngblood Hawke, The Mowgli’s, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. and Bestfriends. The fabulous Lincoln Park neighborhood would play host, and there would be no admission fee. READ MORE

Music Blog: 2 Aqueous Albums

By Meaghan Lee
July 10, 2013 - 6:25pm

With summer swimming along, a double album release of aqueous proportions could not be more fitting. Both Pacific Air’s Stop Talking and Surfer Blood’s Pythons debuted on the same day earlier this June. The pleasantly nautical dose of airy indie pop and loud surf rock will make a vital addition to your growing summer playlists. Pacific Air READ MORE

DIY Restyling Clothes for Summer

By Melissa Taylor, Jennifer Hebeisen
May 12, 2013 - 7:50pm

With summer weather finally rolling in, anyone can appreciate the upcoming lack of bulky jackets and itchy sweaters. However, not many people have the money to buy a completely new summer wardrobe. Instead, we have a few ways that you can create a new look with just a few items, right in time for the changing weather. Try these non-expensice options and bring back your creative side!   1. Fabric paint READ MORE

Sweetest Cupcakes in Chicago

By Francesca Dreesen
May 10, 2013 - 10:12am

I’ve gone from Lakeview to Tri Traylor to Downtown, tasting many sweet confections from the most noted bakeries in Chicago. It was a delicious few weeks because I was able to try the best cupcakes anyone could imagine. I’d like to share my favorites that you can treat yourself to anytime you have a sweet tooth. ENJOY! Magnolia Bakery Best Texture-
This cupcake is deliciously crispy and fluffy at the same time. It tastes 
like it is fresh out of the oven and topped with a pillowing frosting. READ MORE

5 Summer Essentials

By Alex Griparis
April 29, 2013 - 7:08pm

Even though the weather doesn’t make it seem so, summer is on its way here! With only three weeks left of the semester, start thinking of North Avenue Beach and Mario’s Italian ice to get you through the next couple weeks! Once the glorious summer season arrives, make sure you have these 5 essentials! Garnier Dry Body/Hair Oil
The intense heat that Chicago endures leaves your hair and skin super dry. This spray on oil is packed with moisturizers and antioxidants to leave hair and skin moisturized and glowing. Also, the magic of dry oil is that it doesn’t leave your hair or skin greasy so you can use it any time! This is perfect after a long day at the beach. READ MORE

Music Blog: What's Your "Tunnel Song"?

By Meaghan Lee
April 26, 2013 - 12:48am

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, starring Logan Miller, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller, came out long enough ago that I’m shamed in admitting my first viewing happened only recently. While I don’t want to rewrite a plot summary of the film, I will address a scene of significant and of course, musical inspiration. Those who have seen Perks before may be familiar with the “tunnel scene.” The major characters embark on a nighttime joy ride. As they speed through the tunnel and into the city lights, magic ensues. David Bowie’s “Heroes” blasts, an anthem that parallels the youth and the pure thrill of being. This moment makes the characters feel alive, feel infinite. READ MORE

Music Blog: “Give In” to the Band of the Week

By Meaghan Lee
April 22, 2013 - 11:27pm

Who is On An On? Well, HC readers, meet indie trio formed by husband and wife, Nate Eisland and Alissa Ricci and their friend, Ryne Estwing. I first saw this Chicago-nurtured group as Scattered Trees when they opened for Two Door Cinema Club two years ago. After visiting the Windy City again this December and March to play Schuba’s Tavern, their tour picked up heat at the renowned SXSW festival in Texas as Time magazine’s #1 “New Band to See." READ MORE

5 Ways to Go Green on Earth Day

By Jennifer Hebeisen, Melissa Taylor
April 22, 2013 - 8:21am

Here at UIC, we celebrate Earth by devoting an entire month to it. Here are 5 ways you can be green during Earth month!  1.) Better World Books -- donate old/new books you no longer need to better the literacy of the Earth. Better World Books strives to put literacy within reach of people around the world. Grab books and put them in the designated drop boxes located in SCE, Library, UH, TBH, BSB, JST, Honors College, student dorms (CMN, CMW, CMS).   All day April 1, 2013-May 10, 2013. It’s that simple to make a difference. http://www.betterworldbooks.co... READ MORE

I Know Jane's Name our Shoes Contest!

By Claudia Martinez
April 19, 2013 - 6:12pm

Hi HC readers, READ MORE