Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Blog

10 Best Fashion Blogs You Should Follow

By Alex Griparis
November 17, 2013 - 7:35pm

1. Women’s Wear Daily
This 100 year old fashion trade journal has now made its mark on tumblr   2.  Tales of Endearment
Started by Natalie Joos in 2010, this has quickly become one of the most influential fashion blogs out there. If you love vintage clothes, this blog is for you.
  READ MORE

Music Blog: Changing of the Seasons

By Meaghan Lee
November 13, 2013 - 1:12pm

November definitely snuck up on me. The past few mornings I was even greeted by frosty ground, hinting that winter weather may be closer than we think. A new, timely titled track by some of my favorite Irish rockers, Two Door Cinema Club, should add some heat to the impending chill. Turn up the volume on this poppy single, and get psyched for changes to come! READ MORE

5 Tips to Staying Healthy/Avoiding Illness

By Melissa Taylor, Jennifer Hebeisen
November 11, 2013 - 4:00pm

The temperature outside is dropping and that means it’s time to make sure yours doesn’t rise! Unfortunately, flu season is back and that means you have to be extremely careful to protect yourself. Especially with finals coming up in a month, we all need to be at our healthiest to stay on top of our academics. Here are some simple tips that hopefully will help you stay healthy and avoid getting sick! 1. Take Vitamin C READ MORE

Music Blog: The Boys Are Back

By Meaghan Lee
November 3, 2013 - 11:50pm

IT'S ABOUT TIME. No really. That’s the name of Young the Giant’s first single in 3 years! You may remember their first smash, “My Body” or radio favorite, “Cough Syrup.” Regardless, these Cali kings of cool return with a graduated edge after a well-deserved “break.”  READ MORE

Simple DIY Halloween Costumes!

By Melissa Taylor, Jennifer Hebeisen
October 27, 2013 - 3:25pm

Halloween is sneaking up on us and we know that not everyone has the time, or money, to get an extravagant costume this year. We’re here to help! Here are some costume ideas that require little to no money and hopefully can be made with things you already have lying around! Let's get creative, ladies.  1. Nerd/Geek READ MORE

Music Blog: Ghouls Night Out (Or In!)

By Meaghan Lee
October 19, 2013 - 1:00am

Because Halloween, my favorite of all holidays, is less than two weeks away, I had to carve out time for a wicked musical welcome. I spent sleepless hours archiving a selection of songs for you ghouls to get down to...or not. Some of these tunes were born long ago, and others rise fresh for the fright. Listen if you dare. Watch Bastille’s video for Of The Night to spark the spook. READ MORE

Terrifyingly Haunted Houses

By Jennifer Hebeisen, Melissa Taylor
October 18, 2013 - 10:51pm

As Halloween draws closer this Fall, everyone starts thinking about what they’re going to do. What’s Halloween without something scary? We picked some of the scariest haunted houses around for you and your friends to experience. But choose wisely because it could scare you for a lifetime. These haunted houses are well known in the area and well worth the journey, but you're sure to be terrified.  READ MORE

Apple Picking Near Chicago

By Jennifer Hebeisen, Melissa Taylor
October 11, 2013 - 8:19pm

To make this Fall season even more enjoyable, we suggest gathering up your favorite friends/family and heading out to a seasonal apple orchard to pick apples before they’re all gone! With cooler weather moving in, you’re just in the knick of time to go apple picking. The apple orchards listed below have individual websites with all the information you’ll need including the types of apples for your connoisseur taste! See which orchard strikes your fancy, grab your cutest scarf, and have fun walking through the orchards in search of the perfect apple!  READ MORE

Five Books to Read This Fall

By Alex Griparis
October 5, 2013 - 7:57pm

All those crisp Fall days when you’re curled up with a cozy sweater and a pumpkin flavored something-or-other would be so much better with the perfect book. These five are great and pretty fast reads that won’t overtake midterms and homework. Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion
Written in 1970, this novel is about main character Maria and the sequence of events that led her to a neuropsychiatric hospital. This book is beautifully written, but I must admit very sad. Despite that, it’s a must read for every girl in her 20s trying to figure out life. READ MORE

Music Blog: Sink Your Teeth into Another Fall Release

By Meaghan Lee
October 5, 2013 - 7:06pm

Let’s get down to gristle. After swallowing 16-year-old Lorde’s salty single “Royals,” it’s time to chew on the rest of her debut. Pure Heroine crept in last week, sneaking past New Zealand’s curfews and into the States (aren’t we lucky). READ MORE