Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Blog

Music Blog: Out of Place or Right at Home?

By Meaghan Lee
April 15, 2014 - 4:27pm

Music in its most regular format is undeniably welcome. Albums exist on store shelves or are available digitally with tracks straight from the studio, polished and mixed to near perfection. Still, the rare occasions in which we can experience the music makers live and in a conventional venue of some sort is arguably even more rewarding. Now, what if these magicians left the regular recording room AND the concert hall to perform somewhere rare? Maybe played a stripped down set in a hippyfied RV? READ MORE

Music Blog: Tunes To Put A Spring In Your Step

By Meaghan Lee
March 31, 2014 - 1:09pm

Although no judgment will be passed on those catching up on some well deserved Z’s this break, I crafted a special spring compilation that just may get you moving. When you do come around (even if it is past noon), take a spin through the playlist dedicated to sunny songs with spring and rejuvenating powers. Call me your apothecary for a strenuous semester’s first half. Relax and release. Skip to these tracks by budding artists and others that make you feel brighter, better and downright alive. A new season arises—let’s salute it through song! READ MORE

Music Blog: Take a Break in Budapest

By Meaghan Lee
March 11, 2014 - 6:02pm

Baking Bits: Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?

By Alicia McConnell
March 7, 2014 - 3:46pm

With the snow around campus finally starting to melt, we might not be able to make any more snowmen, but these delicious cookies are the next BEST thing! Recipe:  2 squares unsweetened chocolate 1/2 cup butter 1 cup packed brown sugar 1 egg 2 cups flour 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 cup milk 1 teaspoon vanilla Parchment paper Orange sprinkles Mini chocolate chips Frosting: 3 cups powdered sugar 1 tablespoon butter Milk Preheat oven to 375.  READ MORE

Music Blog: Playing It Cool with Epic Boy Band

By Meaghan Lee
March 4, 2014 - 5:16pm

Something cold. Something cool. A band that’s old, but back with new. Before my faux rhyme stretches into any more lunacy, I’ll cut the cryptic and fill you in on who's keeping things crisp this week in music. Photo: Anton Corbijn READ MORE

Baking Bits: Peanut Butter Hearts

By Alicia McConnell
February 25, 2014 - 2:41pm

Need to use up that leftover Valentines candy?  A sweettwist on classic peanut butter cookie is sure to have you falling in love with these sweet treats.  Ingredients: 1/2 cup shortening 1 1/4 cup peanut butter 1/3 cup granulated sugar 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar 3 tablespoons milk 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 1/2 cup flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 48 chocolate chip candies extra sugar for rolling Recipe: READ MORE

Music Blog: Once Upon A Dream

By Meaghan Lee
February 20, 2014 - 1:32pm

Still lingering on cupid’s cloud nine? Didn’t make it that far? Don’t worry—daydream is very much in the air thanks to sweethearts, Lana Del Rey and Lily Allen. These songstresses have a knack for lifting listeners out of reality and into a temporary trance. READ MORE

5 Ways to Stay Organized This Semester

By Nicole Jacobs
February 12, 2014 - 4:22pm

Now that we are entering the 5th week of the spring semester, you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed with how demanding your classes are. You might not of had the best fall semester, but it's not too late to change things up! If one of your goals this year is to be the best student you can be, here are a couple of tips that can help you get back on track!  Invest in a planner READ MORE

Music Blog: Be My Valentune?

By Meaghan Lee
February 11, 2014 - 12:30pm

The endless and often fruitless quest to find a valentine has the tendency to stir up unwanted and unnecessary distress. Sometimes the timing is tricky, a prospective valentine is only "wonderful" through rose-colored glasses or exists soley in your head. Have hope, though, heartbreakers. Remember that valentines come in all shapes and sizes…and sounds. I encourage those who don’t have a textbook valentine to search instead for a valentune. Maybe even one from the playlist below... READ MORE

Music Blog: Snow Won't Keep You From These Shows

By Meaghan Lee
February 6, 2014 - 3:14pm

After a whiplash week of weather in Chicago, it's time to replace thoughts of drear with cheer and dream of warmer places than here. Thinking of sunny venues and jam-packed lineups should help. Let these upcoming festival destinations spur you to start saving those pennies and donning your best pair of sunnies. Check out more information on these sizzling shows below! NOISE POP | February 25-March 2, San Fransisco, CA READ MORE