Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Blog

Music Blog: Snow Won't Keep You From These Shows

By Meaghan Lee
February 6, 2014 - 3:14pm

After a whiplash week of weather in Chicago, it's time to replace thoughts of drear with cheer and dream of warmer places than here. Thinking of sunny venues and jam-packed lineups should help. Let these upcoming festival destinations spur you to start saving those pennies and donning your best pair of sunnies. Check out more information on these sizzling shows below! NOISE POP | February 25-March 2, San Fransisco, CA READ MORE

5 Tips on How to Survive Chiberia

By Nicole Jacobs
January 28, 2014 - 6:52pm

Chicago, we officially have a love hate relationship with you. For those of you not from Chicago, this winter in the city you have experienced #chiberia; a term used to describe Chicago’s harsh winter season.  This winter’s polar vortex is definitely one of a kind. With temps dropping as low as -9 degrees, it’s important for every collegiette to stay healthy and strong by incorporating a few simple steps into their day to day routine. Here are 5 things you can do to prevent sickness, stay warm, and battle Chicago’s crazy weather! READ MORE

Music Blog: Album Releases To Keep You On "Track"

By Meaghan Lee
January 20, 2014 - 10:19pm

Welcome back, readers! While you’re penciling in exams and activities for the weeks to come, don’t forget to include upcoming album releases! The spring semester promises a potpourri of music to keep you motivated and elated. Read on to discover just who is mixing it up.   READ MORE

Music Blog: New Year, New Music

By Meaghan Lee
January 1, 2014 - 8:00pm

2014's rapid approach has sparked my itch for fresh pitch. Time to SCRATCH. I dedicate this blog to 14 shiny and (pretty) new songs to celebrate and commemorate the next year's arrival. Happy listening, and don't take those resolutions too seriously! Arcade Fire, "Reflektor"  The Avett Brothers, "Another Is Waiting" Bastille, "The Draw" READ MORE

Top 5 Ways to Decorate Your Room for The Holidays

By Francesca Dreesen
December 25, 2013 - 7:00am

1.    A little tree with tiny ornaments will make your dorm or apartment instantly feel like Christmas. 2.  Show the glow with simple white lights in your window.   3.    Make or buy a colorful wreath to hang on your door. READ MORE

Music Blog: The Gift of Gratis Music

By Meaghan Lee
December 18, 2013 - 12:37am

I challenge you, readers, to name something more gratifying than free music. How about a whole website devoted to free, downloadable music? Here’s the catch–it’s completely legal. Oh wait, that’s not a catch. READ MORE

DIY Christmas Gifts on a Budget

By Melissa Taylor, Jennifer Hebeisen
December 15, 2013 - 11:33pm

Now that the semester is over, we can fully appreciate the holiday season! However, with the holidays comes the sometimes stressful thinking and planning of presents for friends and family. Being a college student on a budget, you may not be able to splurge as much as you would like, but we are here to help! We have a few ideas for some easy, do-it-yourself gifts that won’t hurt your wallet. READ MORE

5 Drinks For Finals Week

By Melissa Taylor, Jennifer Hebeisen
December 10, 2013 - 1:34pm

Finals week is upon us in the worst way. Good thing we’ve all been studying religiously...or not. Whether you’re done studying or just getting started, we’ve created a list of 5 drinks to help with your cognitive functioning while studying and taking tests. So before you sit down to flex those brain waves, grab one of these yummy beverages!    READ MORE

Music Blog: It’s Beginning To Sound A Lot Like Christmas

By Meaghan Lee
December 9, 2013 - 12:02am

Christmastime is a time for cookie-making (and eating), tree trimming, and plenty of merrymaking. A spell of shopping, skating, and sleeping. Yet, what would most of these festivities be without the appropriate ambience? The most important ingredient that emanates the essence of the season is sound. Jingling bells, crunching snow, crackling fire, wild laughter, and singing—singing along to carols, old and new, in and out of tune. Music moves us through the seasons and offers reliability. You can count on the return of Christmas songs every year, even if they do creep ever closer to Halloween. Now is the time to listen to songs that make you feel ultra festive, the time to hang up your hang-ups, and leave soon-to-be snowy boots at the door....

10 Best Workouts to Get Back into Shape

By Young Liu
December 3, 2013 - 12:07pm

Want to know some great workouts to get that sexy beach body right in the comfort of your own home? Here is our list of the top ten workouts that require no weights or fancy machines, but will still whip that body into shape! 1.)  Running Not only does running deliver the best results for your body, but it is also inexpensive, easy to learn, and super accessible (all you need are gym shoes). It is high in cardiovascular fitness and works out literally your entire body.  2.) Burpes   READ MORE