Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Blog

Music Blog: Playing It Cool with Epic Boy Band

By Meaghan Lee
March 4, 2014 - 5:16pm

Something cold. Something cool. A band that’s old, but back with new. Before my faux rhyme stretches into any more lunacy, I’ll cut the cryptic and fill you in on who's keeping things crisp this week in music. Photo: Anton Corbijn READ MORE

Baking Bits: Peanut Butter Hearts

By Alicia McConnell
February 25, 2014 - 2:41pm

Need to use up that leftover Valentines candy?  A sweettwist on classic peanut butter cookie is sure to have you falling in love with these sweet treats.  Ingredients: 1/2 cup shortening 1 1/4 cup peanut butter 1/3 cup granulated sugar 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar 3 tablespoons milk 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 1/2 cup flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 48 chocolate chip candies extra sugar for rolling Recipe: READ MORE

Music Blog: Once Upon A Dream

By Meaghan Lee
February 20, 2014 - 1:32pm

Still lingering on cupid’s cloud nine? Didn’t make it that far? Don’t worry—daydream is very much in the air thanks to sweethearts, Lana Del Rey and Lily Allen. These songstresses have a knack for lifting listeners out of reality and into a temporary trance. READ MORE

5 Ways to Stay Organized This Semester

By Nicole Jacobs
February 12, 2014 - 4:22pm

Now that we are entering the 5th week of the spring semester, you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed with how demanding your classes are. You might not of had the best fall semester, but it's not too late to change things up! If one of your goals this year is to be the best student you can be, here are a couple of tips that can help you get back on track!  Invest in a planner READ MORE

Music Blog: Be My Valentune?

By Meaghan Lee
February 11, 2014 - 12:30pm

The endless and often fruitless quest to find a valentine has the tendency to stir up unwanted and unnecessary distress. Sometimes the timing is tricky, a prospective valentine is only "wonderful" through rose-colored glasses or exists soley in your head. Have hope, though, heartbreakers. Remember that valentines come in all shapes and sizes…and sounds. I encourage those who don’t have a textbook valentine to search instead for a valentune. Maybe even one from the playlist below... READ MORE

Music Blog: Snow Won't Keep You From These Shows

By Meaghan Lee
February 6, 2014 - 3:14pm

After a whiplash week of weather in Chicago, it's time to replace thoughts of drear with cheer and dream of warmer places than here. Thinking of sunny venues and jam-packed lineups should help. Let these upcoming festival destinations spur you to start saving those pennies and donning your best pair of sunnies. Check out more information on these sizzling shows below! NOISE POP | February 25-March 2, San Fransisco, CA READ MORE

5 Tips on How to Survive Chiberia

By Nicole Jacobs
January 28, 2014 - 6:52pm

READ MORE

Music Blog: Album Releases To Keep You On "Track"

By Meaghan Lee
January 20, 2014 - 10:19pm

Welcome back, readers! While you’re penciling in exams and activities for the weeks to come, don’t forget to include upcoming album releases! The spring semester promises a potpourri of music to keep you motivated and elated. Read on to discover just who is mixing it up.   READ MORE

Music Blog: New Year, New Music

By Meaghan Lee
January 1, 2014 - 8:00pm

2014's rapid approach has sparked my itch for fresh pitch. Time to SCRATCH. I dedicate this blog to 14 shiny and (pretty) new songs to celebrate and commemorate the next year's arrival. Happy listening, and don't take those resolutions too seriously! Arcade Fire, "Reflektor"  The Avett Brothers, "Another Is Waiting" Bastille, "The Draw" READ MORE

Top 5 Ways to Decorate Your Room for The Holidays

By Francesca Dreesen
December 25, 2013 - 7:00am

1.    A little tree with tiny ornaments will make your dorm or apartment instantly feel like Christmas. 2.  Show the glow with simple white lights in your window.   3.    Make or buy a colorful wreath to hang on your door. READ MORE