This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Valentine’s day is just around the corner and while most of the lucky taken fishes are busy gushing over their plans with their significant other, for some it’s a big fat S.A.D (Single Awareness Day).  Yes, I admit and confess to the world that I am one of those girls, who will watch all of Nicholas Spark’s movies while indulging myself in carbs and sweets.

But let’s be honest with ourselves for a minute, do we really need that guy or that girl that we’ve been crushing on for months to make us truly happy? Sure, in every Nicholas Spark’s movie there’s always that happily ever ending.  But relationships take hard work. It’s not always rainbows and sunshine, there will be days where it will thunder and rain on our expectations of our partner being like Noah from The Notebook.

In no means am I saying that being in a relationship is equivalent to taking that dreaded exam for your 8 a.m. class, but I am asking the question of if we would be truly happy if were in a relationship with that guy or that girl.  If you stopped and actually realized who you were, you would see that you are strong, smart, and beautiful. No guy or girl should ever determine your worth because at the end of the day you are you and you are awesome. Easier said then done, right? I get it. Having someone to hold you during those lonely hours feel oh so incredible. The thought of going on a romantic stroll on a cold winter night by the lake sounds magical.  And it is. 

Perhaps, we long to be with someone so bad to the point where we treat ourselves with pity because for a second because we want to escape the pain of being ourselves. We all have demons we haven’t faced. It’s always lingering in the back burner of our mind. We long for an antidote or a superhero to save us from whatever it is that we’re dealing with internally. For some, the antidote is the intimate relationship with someone. But maybe the real antidote is to first have an intimate relationship with ourselves. Maybe in order to love someone, let alone be in a relationship with someone, we need to fully embrace all our curves and imperfections as John Legend perfectly puts it. Because how can we truly love someone, when we can’t even love ourselves?

So this Valentine’s Day, instead of reaching for that tub of Ben & Jerry’s, go get a pedicure or have a nice spa day with your friends. Love yourself and be in a relationship with yourself because quite honestly you are precious. 

Jenny is a UIC student majoring in Political Science. She is a Batman enthusiast and has an obsession with the ocean and sailing.
UIC Contributor.