Out With Summer And In With School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

No matter what you do, you cannot avoid the impending transition back into school mode. While it can be difficult to say goodbye to summer, we’re here to help you out with the shift from your laid back, relaxed summer to hitting the books and being studious. It’s time to blow the dust off your school supplies and get back into the swing of things. Here are some tips to help you start the Fall semester off right.

• Let Summer go. Time to accept that Summer is gone and Fall is coming, but you don’t have to give up the outdoors just yet. Spend as much time in the sun as you can, wearing sublock of course. Study outside by enjoying the warm weather and trees while they last because the warmth will be gone before we know it. Plan a trip to the beach with your friends one more time before they close for winter. Check out a local carnival or festival. 
  • Embrace Fall. Fall weather is a bit chilly, but that just means it’s time to cozy up! Grab some of your fall favorites already out. Sip some hot apple cider. Grab your favorite coffee store’s pumpkin spice coffee. Go apple picking. Start sorting through your clothes and planning new cute outfits you can bundle up with. With cooler temperatures come great sales at stores as they shift clothing for the season. Hit up your favorite stores and find some great new additions to your wardrobe. 
  • Don’t stress. Most college students, if not all, are guilty of procrastination. Use the new semester as a fresh start to actually stay on top of your homework so it doesn’t hurt you in the end. To help feeling overwhelmed, compartmentalize your school work. Look at it in small sections. Separate by subject instead of stressing over the daunting sum of all of your classes. Keep a schedule or calendar and write a to do list. Fill your list with important things and arbitrary things. Seeing yourself cross off simple things such as ‘fill waterbottle’ or ‘light candle’ will help start your momentum and get you going with accomplishing your work. Slowly but surely your list will dwindle. All you need is a little planning ahead.
Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Germanic Studies Status: Senior Jennifer is a born and raised Chicago girl passionate about her studies. She loves to help people all that she can and contribute to the betterment of others. Used to being on the go, Jennifer is enthusiastic about obtaining her degree and learning many different things along the way. She is interested in music, movies, reading, volunteering, and is a major Blackhawks fan. Her dream is obtain her degree and work with writing in a fashion that will reach out to people.
Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Psychology, Sociology Melissa is born and raised in Chicago. She started out at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign before coming to UIC.
UIC Contributor.