Our top 5 Anti-Valentine’s Day Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

It happens every year. All the single girls are reminded that the love fest of Valentine’s Day has come again. Instead of moping about not having someone to buy you heinous amounts of chocolate, try watching some anti-Valentine’s day movies. You will be reminded that being single is not so bad, and you can use V-day to have some much needed me time. Here are some of the best flicks.

1.     Kill Bill- Not only is this movie a great action film, it also has a strong woman as its lead. She doesn’t spend her time searching for the love of a man, but rather her revenge. If you want to feel like a badass woman who fights for what she wants, watch Kill Bill.

2.     The Hangover- Grab some single friends and watch this classic best friends film. Who needs a date for Valentine’s day when you can have awesome adventures like these guys. Think, a wolfpack of friends is way better than one date.

3.     Sex and the City- Ok so in this one Carrie has her Romance with Big, but she didn’t need love until later in her life. Just remember that you are in college and you have years ahead of you to find love like these girls. You can also relate that Samantha doesn’t need a man and you shouldn’t either! 

4.     A Documentary of Your Choice- What date is going to want to watch that documentary about Coco Chanel or the Amish Woman of America? Pretty much no one. This is a great time to grab some snacks and indulge in some of your own interests, without being judged for how ridiculous they may be.

5.     Hunger Games- Watch this one and root for Katniss to kick some butt. You also don’t need to deal with a guy commenting on how good she looks doing it. You’ll have some awesome suspense, and be proud that this great female lead does not give up.

If you can’t handle all the mush this Valentine’s day, just pop in some of these flicks and enjoy your night. What would you do with a 40 pound teddy bear anyways?

I am Francesca Dreesen. I am currently living in Chicago Illinois and attend UIC. Communications is my major and I aspire to work in publications some day. I love to be creative, read, design, write and travel. I love being in urban places.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.