An Open Letter to My Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Mom,

I know I don’t say this as often as I should but I’m glad that you’re my mom. I wouldn’t have it any other way, really. Even though we don’t live together, you’re always there for me. You make an effort to talk to me, to cheer me up, and make me laugh. You’re literally my best friend and I know you’ll always have my back, even when I’m being a total brat. 

We’ve been through a lot together and I can’t imagine not having you in my life. I love when you call me “anak.” Being referred to as “my child” when you speak to me makes me feel loved in more ways than one. When I think of you I’m always reminded of those terrible jokes you make just to see me smile. When I eat, I think of the grilled salmon, mashed potatoes, and Spanish rice you would make. I always adored watching you cook leche flan and how you would let me finish the leftover sweetened condensed milk. I miss those times you would caress my hair and read to me before bed, even though you were tired from work. 

I love how straightforward you are with me and how you never put up with the drama I would create. It makes me laugh when I think of how I wrote that runaway letter when I was seven and put it on the fridge for you to find. Then when you did find it you asked me if I was running away and I started packing my clothes in a plastic bag to spite you and you told me, “Here I’ll give you a bus pass, ask for a transfer.” Some people might think it’s cruel but I actually look back and find it quite funny, and that’s the memory I’ll always have of you, being funny. 

I’ll never be able to show you or put into words how grateful I am to have you in my life. Even though you’re busy with work you always remind me that I’m always on your mind, that you pray for my safety, and how you’re always proud to have me as a daughter. I know I can never repay you for all the love and sacrifice you have gone through on my behalf, but I know that you know I am enough for you. You call me the greatest gift God has ever given to you, and for that I know I truly am the luckiest person to have you as a mother. Thank you for all the hardships and sacrifices you have gone through for my sake. I love and appreciate you always.

Eternally blessed and grateful,

Your Daughter

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.