Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Features

PAWS Chicago

By Anna Soltysiak
March 7, 2013 - 9:00am

PAWS Chicago is the largest no-kill humane organization in the city, dedicated to transforming animal welfare by providing shelter and care for homeless animals through the implementation of real-world solutions. This non-profit organization is funded by donations and is able to see through its mission with the dedication and commitment of volunteers, who care about the rehabilitation and re-homing of dogs and cats. Volunteers can make a difference through various tasks, such as assisting with community education and outreach programs, implementing follow-up programs, and raising donations and awareness at special events. READ MORE

No Money? No Problem!

By Alex Griparis
March 5, 2013 - 9:56am

As collegiettes, our wallets may be small but our adventures don’t have to be! Living in one of the greatest cities in the world, it’s easy to find something to do with your friends any night of the week without breaking the bank. Here are some amazing free and near free events and meals that will be sure to make your nights out unforgettable.   Abbey Pub
Established in 1973, this pub/music venue is on the corner of Grace and Elston Ave in Chicago. This place is definitely worth going, and every Thursday they have a $3 house burger and fries deal, as well as $3.50 blue moons. While you’re there, you and your friends may even catch a live music show. READ MORE

The Rave Run

By Alex Griparis
March 3, 2013 - 11:25am

Lately, it seems like Chicagoland has been seeing a lot of the same races. The Color Run, The Hot Chocolate Run, and of course the Chicago Marathon for all you over-achievers. Recently I came across a new 5K that is unlike any of the others. It's called The Rave Run and it's coming to Chicago on April 27th! The Rave Run takes place at night, and according to their website runners will "experience a nocturnal wonderland with 3.1miles of stunning lights and music." It was founded in 2012 by an runner, artist, and insomniac. He succesfully created a 5K that includes the best of all three of these aspects. READ MORE

10 Tips For A Happier, Healthier Lifestyle!

By Nicole Jacobs
March 1, 2013 - 5:01pm

As collegiettes, it can be tough to have a balanced diet and exercise regularly. With built up stress from classes and work we may neglect our physical and mental health. Sometimes we have to stop, take a breath and remember to take care of ourselves. Making an effort to be fit and maintain a healthy lifestyle is important and is something that can be possible! Here are ten tips that will lead you to a healthier, happier lifestyle. 1. Make sleep & eating priorities READ MORE

The Art of First Impressions

By Francesca Dreesen
February 26, 2013 - 11:39pm

Whether it is a job interview, meeting new friends, or going on a date; with every encounter you have you are evaluated and another person’s impression of you is formed.  This first encounter is extremely important because a first impression can be nearly impossible to reverse. The opinion the other person forms about you the first moment they meet you will stick with them forever. They will base this opinion on the way you dress, your overall appearance, your body language, and your mannerisms.  With that said, it is important to be aware on how you present yourself to others. Whether they are in your career or social life, it's important to know how to create a good first impression. The following are some tips to help you do this!...

Remanufacture Your Meal at Chuck’s

By Anna Soltysiak
February 13, 2013 - 1:56pm

If you are in quest of a new place to grab food and drinks on your lunch break or after work, you should check out Chuck’s Manufacturing located in the Loop on North Michigan Avenue, situated between the Magnificent Mile and Millennium Park. Chuck’s is a great place to go for a one-on-one date or with a group of friends if you are in the mood for a more lively night out. The space is super chic, with a vibrant and lively atmosphere, decorated with bright, acrylic colors. READ MORE

Our 7 Must Visit Places in Chicago!

By Nicole Jacobs
February 9, 2013 - 9:00am

Known for its absolutely beautiful skyline, the Windy City is definitely at the top of the list for tourists. Born and raised in Chicago, one of the things I love about this city is its diversity - in its people and neighborhoods. With so many vibrant neighborhoods to explore, the heart and the soul of the city not only lie in downtown, but within its many incredible neighborhoods. Living and traveling in Chicago is like an everyday adventure! READ MORE

Tea- licious!

By Anna Soltysiak
February 7, 2013 - 2:05am

Similar to my love for (or addiction to) coffee is my obsession for tea. A hot cup of tea, matched with some lemon and honey really hits the spot! Not only is this beverage tasty, it also provides many health benefits. Drinking tea regularly bolsters immune defenses, lowers the risk of heart disease and cancer, increases metabolism, and lowers blood pressure. Many of the vitamins and antioxidants we look for in foods and supplement pills can be found in teas. Tea can also give you that pick-me-up in the morning as a better alternative to coffee and energy drinks. Here are a few teas you can start drinking to sustain a healthier you! Green Tea: Strengthens the cardiovascular system, aids in weight loss, and lowers blood pressure and cholesterol. ...

Reorganize Your Closet!

By Francesca Dreesen
February 6, 2013 - 2:44am

Every girl stands in front of her wardrobe thinking the ever present question, “what should I wear today?” Even though she has every kind of clothing from bandeaus to Bermuda’s, she finds it impossible to picture today’s outfit. The answer to this problem is simple reorganization and simplifying your wardrobe. READ MORE

Our top 5 Anti-Valentine's Day Movies

By Francesca Dreesen
February 1, 2013 - 9:00am

It happens every year. All the single girls are reminded that the love fest of Valentine's Day has come again. Instead of moping about not having someone to buy you heinous amounts of chocolate, try watching some anti-Valentine’s day movies. You will be reminded that being single is not so bad, and you can use V-day to have some much needed me time. Here are some of the best flicks. READ MORE