Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UIC Features

Come Back Intact! Ten Spring Break Tips

By Nathan Oelker
March 18, 2013 - 11:00pm

Most tips for Spring Break are common sense in any situation, but they must be reaffirmed when many are apt to discard their inhibitions in a vacation destination. So here’s some aggregated information to get the conversation going, help you return in one piece, and leave you with stories you want to tell! Further information can be found with the provided links. 1. The floor of your hotel room is important too! READ MORE

How to Survive Spring Break at Home

By Melissa Taylor, Jennifer Hebeisen
March 13, 2013 - 12:33pm

As Spring Break rolls around, not all college students can afford an extravagant vacation to sunbathe on the beach or have a European adventure. We are all looking to relax in the weeks after midterms and long hours of studying. Here are some things to do while staying within your budget. Go to the movies Being released on March 22nd, Admission is a comedy starring Tina Fey and Paul Rudd. It centers around a college admissions officer who comes across an alternative young man who could be the son she gave up for adoption years prior. Grab some popcorn and get ready to laugh. Stay in and watch a movie READ MORE

Spring Ahead

By Alex Griparis
March 12, 2013 - 12:40pm

The snow is starting to melt and the sun is finally shining, which can only mean one thing: Spring is almost here! Aside from spring break and the fact that this semester is half over, there are so many more things to be excited about in Chicago. Here are some of Chicago’s marvelous spring events that we collegiettes don’t have to wear Eskimo gear to attend. Peace on Earth Film Festival READ MORE

March Madness...say what?!

By Anna Soltysiak
March 11, 2013 - 2:22pm

Beginning March 19, the men in your life will stop calling you, send you three to four word text messages (maybe five if they really like you!), and most likely forget about your weekend plans together. When your boyfriend calls you “Cinderella,” it will not be because he is trying to be romantic. When he refers to the big dance, he will not be talking about semi formal. For the next three weeks, your guy will have one thing on his mind, and it is probably not what you are thinking. Welcome to March Madness season, ladies. READ MORE

St. Patrick's Day Celebrations in Chicago 2013!

By Nicole Jacobs
March 7, 2013 - 9:05pm

It’s about that time of year again when Chi-rish invades the city’s streets and bars. No other city celebrates St. Paddy’s day quite like Chicago! The great thing about living in an urban environment is that there is always something exciting and interesting going on. Here are some fun, lively outdoor and indoor activities happening in Chicago for St. Pat’s Day. St. Patrick’s Day Parade READ MORE

PAWS Chicago

By Anna Soltysiak
March 7, 2013 - 9:00am

PAWS Chicago is the largest no-kill humane organization in the city, dedicated to transforming animal welfare by providing shelter and care for homeless animals through the implementation of real-world solutions. This non-profit organization is funded by donations and is able to see through its mission with the dedication and commitment of volunteers, who care about the rehabilitation and re-homing of dogs and cats. Volunteers can make a difference through various tasks, such as assisting with community education and outreach programs, implementing follow-up programs, and raising donations and awareness at special events. READ MORE

No Money? No Problem!

By Alex Griparis
March 5, 2013 - 9:56am

As collegiettes, our wallets may be small but our adventures don’t have to be! Living in one of the greatest cities in the world, it’s easy to find something to do with your friends any night of the week without breaking the bank. Here are some amazing free and near free events and meals that will be sure to make your nights out unforgettable.   Abbey Pub
Established in 1973, this pub/music venue is on the corner of Grace and Elston Ave in Chicago. This place is definitely worth going, and every Thursday they have a $3 house burger and fries deal, as well as $3.50 blue moons. While you’re there, you and your friends may even catch a live music show. READ MORE

The Rave Run

By Alex Griparis
March 3, 2013 - 11:25am

Lately, it seems like Chicagoland has been seeing a lot of the same races. The Color Run, The Hot Chocolate Run, and of course the Chicago Marathon for all you over-achievers. Recently I came across a new 5K that is unlike any of the others. It's called The Rave Run and it's coming to Chicago on April 27th! The Rave Run takes place at night, and according to their website runners will "experience a nocturnal wonderland with 3.1miles of stunning lights and music." It was founded in 2012 by an runner, artist, and insomniac. He succesfully created a 5K that includes the best of all three of these aspects. READ MORE

10 Tips For A Happier, Healthier Lifestyle!

By Nicole Jacobs
March 1, 2013 - 5:01pm

As collegiettes, it can be tough to have a balanced diet and exercise regularly. With built up stress from classes and work we may neglect our physical and mental health. Sometimes we have to stop, take a breath and remember to take care of ourselves. Making an effort to be fit and maintain a healthy lifestyle is important and is something that can be possible! Here are ten tips that will lead you to a healthier, happier lifestyle. 1. Make sleep & eating priorities READ MORE

The Art of First Impressions

By Francesca Dreesen
February 26, 2013 - 11:39pm

Whether it is a job interview, meeting new friends, or going on a date; with every encounter you have you are evaluated and another person’s impression of you is formed.  This first encounter is extremely important because a first impression can be nearly impossible to reverse. The opinion the other person forms about you the first moment they meet you will stick with them forever. They will base this opinion on the way you dress, your overall appearance, your body language, and your mannerisms.  With that said, it is important to be aware on how you present yourself to others. Whether they are in your career or social life, it's important to know how to create a good first impression. The following are some tips to help you do this!...