This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Matte lipstick is on the rise (yay!) and everyone is on the hunt for the perfect lipstick. You know, the one that’s matte, perfectly priced, has all day coverage, is moisturizing, and doesn’t come off when you eat? Well, it probably doesn’t exist, but that doesn’t stop me from searching! Today I’ve tested NARS Velvelt Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella.

This lip pencil has a nice, smooth application and sets quickly. It has a very creamy, matte look. However, after setting, the lip pencil starts feeling a little dry and feels as if it is sitting on top of your lips rather than moisturizing them. After letting the lip pencil sit for a few minutes, I gave it the kiss test and it barely came off! However, all throughout the day, the lip pencil would come off on my cups and food, despite passing the kiss test. After 4 hours, the color of the lip pencil is fading, but this can be avoided through re-application a few times a day. After 8 hours, the lipstick was starting to feel hardened on my lips and peel-y. The color was mostly faded and off of my lips. Removal and re-application for long wear will be necessary.

OVERVIEW:

Look: 10 out of 10

Moisturization: 6 out of 10

4 hour test: 7 out of 10

8 hour test: 4 out of 10

Kiss Test: 9 out of 10

Feathering Test: 10 out of 10

Food/Drink Test: 6 out of 10 (did keep its look on my lips, but would come off on my food and cups)

Re-application: Necessary

Pricing: On the expensive side ($26)

Everyday Wear: If you don’t have problems with upkeep and the pricing is in your range, then yes.

Overall: 7 out of 10

TIPS FOR WEAR: I always recommend a lip liner for any lipstick, and even though this product doesn’t feather throughout the day, a lip liner would help define it and keep its hold. I very strongly recommend re-application throughout the day to keep the product’s lovely color strong and its appearance at its best. Because of the lip pencil being a little bit more pricey and being a product that has to be kept up with throughout the day, I do not recommend this lipstick for everyday use but it is a great lipstick for events, as the lip pencil itself lives up to its smooth, matte look expectations.

Buy Here

Everyone has preferred lipsticks and styles, therefore I do recommend testing for yourself!

Ariana Antonelli is an English major at University of Illinois at Chicago who loves baking, cooking, DIY projects, and writing. Ariana has been collecting recipes for two years and she loves to share them with whoever is willing to listen. Ariana loves giving and receiving self-help and girl advice and is excited to make Her Campus her platform for doing so.
UIC Contributor.