Music Blog: Under the Weight of Living?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Hello readers,

As we’re heading into week 6, I can honestly say that the semester is starting to take a toll on me. About 1/3 of the way through, the simplicity of syllabus week and time spent coasting the few weeks after is over. There are whispers of midterms and temperature teases in the air. Maybe I’m not alone in feeling the need for an escape.

To resuscitate my spirit (and sanity), I broke free of the homework dungeon to see a show last Tuesday. My rescuers call themselves Bastille. These British renegades broke down barriers of stress and became my fortress for the duration of the night. The four-piece has appeared in my blog before but never had I experienced the liberating performance they shared. Offering up every word for the crowd, their humility and pure passion for music inspired all present.

I left the concert on a cloud, rejuvinated and ready to tackle the rest of the week. If you are feeling the pressure of your daily schedule build, I can only encourage you to allow yourself a night off-to immerse yourself in the wonders of live music. Pick a show, any show, and revoke demands of monotony, if only for the night.

Chicago Shows to Save Your Soul (not listing those already sold out):

10/2 The Neighbourhood @ METRO

10/2 Ra Ra Riot @ The Double Door

10/6 Biffy Clyro & Morning Parade @ Bottom Lounge

10/10 Tame Impala @Riviera Theatre

10/11 Surfer Blood @ Bottom Lounge

10/16 The Naked and Famous @ Riviera Theatre

10/19 Anberlin @ House of Blues

10/29 Frank Turner @ Vic Theatre

11/2 Cold War Kids @ Vic Theatre

11/17 Alkaline Trio & New Found Glory @ Aragon Ballroom

11/19 MGMT @ Aragon Ballroom

11/22 Fitz and the Tantrums & Capital Cities @ Aragon Ballroom

11/23 The Mowgli’s @ Bottom Lounge

11/24 Paramore @ UIC Pavilion (that’s us!)

Meaghan craves music almost as much as a good cup of coffee or a bagel smothered with cream cheese. Therefore, her most significant contribution to HerCampus arises once a week via her "Music Blog" section. Through this column, Meaghan hopes to inform and excite readers, introducing them to a variety of new music and music-related topics. Although difficult to decipher her crystal ball's contents, she would love to be working towards an outlet that combines design, writing, music, fashion, art and entertainment in the future. Obsessions also include the color pink and quoting her favorite films. 
UIC Contributor.