Music Blog: Sink Your Teeth into Another Fall Release

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Let’s get down to gristle. After swallowing 16-year-old Lorde’s salty single “Royals,” it’s time to chew on the rest of her debut. Pure Heroine crept in last week, sneaking past New Zealand’s curfews and into the States (aren’t we lucky).

Lorde, or Ella Yelich-O’Connor, fashions her first record as if it were a musical diary. She includes us in her world of friends, inviting us to places where she simply hangs out with her “team” and even allows us to enter territory where she feels less sheltered. Although Lorde refrains from taking herself or life too seriously, the album treads upon profound grounds. The pensive teen advocates ditching plastic crowds and artificial opulence for something cooler than “perfection.” She voices a social critique that transcends high school halls and even the collegiate quarters where we currently dwell.

Most tracks on Pure Heroine mix bold hip hop beats with genuine lyrics that bump and billow. She layers her rich vocal range to create rough and ethereal sounds where naiveté and maturity mingle. This powerful lady will pump you up for a night out on the town or a night in with your crew.

Listen to an anthem of regal proportions, “White Teeth Teens,” below:

If the track above leaves you craving more, be sure to dig in to the rest of Pure Heroine

Meaghan craves music almost as much as a good cup of coffee or a bagel smothered with cream cheese. Therefore, her most significant contribution to HerCampus arises once a week via her "Music Blog" section. Through this column, Meaghan hopes to inform and excite readers, introducing them to a variety of new music and music-related topics. Although difficult to decipher her crystal ball's contents, she would love to be working towards an outlet that combines design, writing, music, fashion, art and entertainment in the future. Obsessions also include the color pink and quoting her favorite films. 
UIC Contributor.