Movie Quotes to Live By

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Something that makes a film jump to the top of my favorites list is its ability to change my perspective. We’ve all had that “ah-hah” moment while watching a great movie when a few clever words are strung together in such a way that sticks in our brains. These are some quotes to guide and inspire us.

“God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables – slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don’t need.”

If you haven’t seen Fight Club, you need to watch it. Right now. If you find yourself spending too much of your hard earned money on clothes, shoes, and make-up, take a step back and think do I really need this? If you spend less money on material things and more time and energy with the things that actually matter, it will make you a lot happier.

“You have no idea how many legends have walked these halls. And what’s worse, you don’t care. Because this place, where so many people would die to work, you only deign to work. And you want to know why she doesn’t kiss you on the forehead and give you a gold star on your homework at the end of the day. Wake up, sweetheart.”

Your boss might not be as horrific and Meryl Streep’s character in The Devil Wears Prada, but I’m sure you’ve had a less than desirable one. What you get out of this movie is yes, your job might suck, especially right out of college. But it’s about working your way up, learning as much as you can, working hard, and sometimes kissing serious butt to get where you want to go.

“If you wanna be with me, you’re with me. Too many guys think I’m a concept, or I complete them, or I’m going to make them alive. I’m just a f****d up girl looking for my own piece of mind. I’m not perfect.”

As far as relationships go, if that spark isn’t there, it isn’t there. Don’t force it. If the person is trying to change you, forget them. Embrace who you are, don’t hide it. Celebrate it, and good things and people will come your way.

“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Since this movie was filmed in Chicago, I think it’s only logical that we trust and follow everything Ferris says. But really, how perfect is this? School is flying by; it’ll be over before we know it. Enjoy the incredible city, and graduate with no regrets. 

“Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it.”

Of course I had to round this out with a Disney quote; they are the inventors of awesome one-liners. These four years will be some of the most influential. We will go through important changes, we’ll make mistakes, and various people will come in and out of our lives. Don’t let your past dictate and make you fear your future. Learn from your mistakes to make you stronger, happier, and wiser.

Ceida is a third-year student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, studying graphic design with an interest in editorial. She has interned for a fashion photographer, Hesita&Bear (a luxury homeware company) and plans to continue her trek in the visual communications industry. Ceida loves exploring the Windy City, and more importantly: she enjoys showing it off. Her pass times include drinking coffee, thrifting, and listening to old-school Jazz, and photography! She is also a proud member of Phi Sigma Sigma National Sorority.