This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Mary is a 20-year-old studying Psychology and Disability and Human Development. She currently serves as the Collegiate Panhellenic Council’s President as well as being an active member of Phi Sigma Sigma here at UIC. Mary is originally from Crystal Lake Illinois, and loves to bake and spend time with friends and family. She is addicted to online shopping, cupcakes, scarves, wiener dogs, candles, and home decorating.

HC (HerCampus): How did you get involved with the Collegiate Panhellenic Council (CPC)? What piqued your interest in it?

MO (Mary Olson): I actually got involved in CPC though my big sister in Phi Sigma Sigma, Kayla. She served as a role model for me and I looked up to when she held our chapter delegate position as well the Philanthropy chair in CPC. She encouraged me to take on various leadership roles, leading me to follow in her footsteps and hold the same positions she did. Had I not have someone supporting me in CPC like she did, I may have missed out on the leadership opportunities that I have been granted through the council.

HC: Did you always want to be President of CPC? Why or why not?

MO: Actually, if you told me a year ago that I would be CPC President now, I would have laughed. I didn’t really see myself as someone responsible enough to take on such leadership role until I was asked to run for the position. I had been involved in the council as my chapter delegate but felt unprepared to serve as president. It has been quite the transition process for me, but I have come out a stronger leader than I ever had imagined.

HC: Do you feel you have improved CPC or maybe do you feel CPC has changed you? If so, how?

MO: In terms of improving CPC, I feel each of the chapters have broken down our barriers and become a bit more comfortable with each other, despite being in different chapters. I don’t know how much of this improvement was because of me, but I definitely try to make everyone feel comfortable around me and sensitive to the needs of the council.

Without a doubt, I have personally changed over the course of my presidency. Before stepping in, I was very much closed off to other chapters besides my own and had not realized how much I could learn from the sisters outside Phi Sigma Sigma. It didn’t take me long to see what we all have in common and who would be there for me to keep me in check and on course with my mission. I didn’t come into the position prepared to lead a council, but I really feel like my council helped shape me into the leader I am today, and I couldn’t be more grateful for the friends I have made along the way.

HC: Do you have any goals for CPC before you end your term?

MO: Before my term ends, I would like to improve the overall organization of CPC as well as improve communication between each of the six chapters in the council. This means setting each leadership position up for future success and growth for the council.

During my term, I have also noticed that CPC has been viewed by its member chapters very positively. For so many years, the council has been a source of rules and restrictions for its member chapters and has not done enough to foster relations between the different chapters. I have always wanted the council to be seen more positively by its members and have set that as my goal for this last semester.

HC: What is your favorite memory being apart of CPC?

MO: My favorite memory being a part of CPC has to be when our council unexpectedly won Council of the Year at the 2014 Greek Awards in the spring. The chapters in CPC work very hard in their philanthropic, service, academic and social efforts, and it was nice to have us all be recognize for our hard work together. When I received the award on behalf of the council, I couldn’t have been more proud of the amazing sorority women I am able to work beside every day.

HC: What else are you involved in on campus?

MO: In addition to being CPC President, I am highly involved in my own sorority chapter, Phi Sigma Sigma. Outside of Greek Life, I currently serve on the Student Conduct Board for the South Campus Residence Halls.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

MO: In ten years, I hope to be helping people. Since I am pursuing a psychology major and disability and human development minor, my focus is therapy. I don’t quite know what direction this will take me, but I know I would not be happy with myself if I was not providing support to the community. I would also hope that I would be working on creating a family for myself and devoting my free time to those close to me.

HC: What is your dream job?

MO: My dream job absolutely be along the lines of being a spokesperson for a philanthropic cause. I have worked with children with autism since high school so I would love to be spreading awareness in support of the community as well as working directly with families affected by disability and contributing to their success.

HC: If you could be best friends with any celebrity, who would it be and why?

MO: If I could be friends with any celebrity, it would definitely be Peyton Manning. Even though he is old and probably wouldn’t be that friend to party, shop, and get mani/pedis with, he is a celebrity that I really admire. Besides him being my favorite football player since I was little and he played for the Colts, I really value the way he conducts himself under pressure and is an overall good role model based on his ethics and philanthropy efforts. It would also be really nice to get season tickets to the Broncos football games!

Sydney is currently a junior at UIC. Apart from writing the Campus Celebrity column for HerCampus-UIC, she also serves as the Vice President in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. As of now her major is undeclared, however she would like to major in marketing and finance. When she is not on campus, she is working at her internships, going to concerts, hanging out with friends, and enjoying life as it comes. In the future she hopes to go into some sort of public relations career, such as event planning, but also keeps her options open. Sydney works hard and tries to take advantage of as many opportunities that come her way!
UIC Contributor.