This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Move over JT, Zayn’s here now.

Zayn Malik started off as a member of the boy band One Direction, and although the band was one of the top boy bands in the world for over 5 years, Zayn wanted more.

On March 25, 2015, Zayn released the statement: “My life with One Direction has been more than I could ever have imagined. But, after five years, I feel like it is now the right time for me to leave the band. I’d like to apologize to the fans if I’ve let anyone down, but I have to do what feels right in my heart. I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight. I know I have four friends for life in Louis, Liam, Harry and Niall. I know they will continue to be the best band in the world.”

Many tween hearts broke that day but almost a year later, Zayn has captured the hearts of a more mature and vulnerable audience.

Although Zayn was established through One Direction, he knew it wasn’t where he was supposed to be. In his audition for X-Factor, Zayn sang Miguel’s “Let Me Love You” which is clearly not your typical boy band song, but rather R&B.

R&B is where Zayn belongs and it’s where he shall stay. Explicit, sexy lyrics and concepts are Zayn’s forte, as shown in his first official single “PILLOWTALK.”

Zayn’s first solo album Mind of Mine is to be released March 25, 2016. Conviently, his album will be released exactly one year after his announcement of leaving One Direction…Coinceidence? I think not!

Zayn’s first single “PILLOWTALK” skyrocketed to the top of the Billboard Top 100 chart and there’s no doubt the whole album will do the same.

I’m excited to see what this talented, young, free spirit has to offer!

Student at University of Illinois at Chicago
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.