Let’s Talk Yoga! Creative Workout for the Body & Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Bored of your typical cardio workout routine? Need something fresh and just as equally intense? Try doing Yoga! It’s a physical, mental, and spiritual practice that originated in India and will definitely have you moving, breathing, and sweating! It focuses on fitness, the purity of the body, and how to live a healthier lifestyle.

I first started doing yoga a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it! If you’re a runner like I am, yoga is the perfect exercise to stretch your muscles and strengthen your core. It incorporates challenging but fun balancing and power poses that really help improve your overall physique! It’s an awesome stress reliever and a creative way to workout with your girl friends! If you’re new to yoga, it can be a little intimidating at first, but with repetition and focus, you’ll soon master challenging poses.

Yoga Bliss located at 1344 S. Halsted in University Village recently opened for business this past September! If you’re looking for a great place to do yoga, I recommend trying this new location! They update their classes frequently with flexible hours to fit even the busiest college student’s schedule. Or if you want to try a free class, this November the UIC Recreational Center will have yoga class sessions available free to students.

So ladies, it’s becoming colder in Chicago, and if you want to maintain that post summer beach body, a good way to stay in shape is by doing yoga! Don’t let the colder temps keep you from staying fit and working out. Try yoga! You’ll love it, and will be proud of yourself for trying something new and fun!

Namaste (Bow to your true self), 

Nicole 

Nicole is a proud city girl born and raised in beautiful Chicago. She is currently a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Business Marketing major and a part of the Women's Line Up Team at Nike Chicago. She loves everything to do with fitness & health, music, urban life, and sports! In her spare time she loves to run, ride her fixie along the lakefront, do yoga, and volunteer! She is a die hard Chicago Bulls fan with a huge sweet tooth. Nicole's dream is to have a career in marketing with a focus in brand management or advertisement and sales promotion.
Ceida is a third-year student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, studying graphic design with an interest in editorial. She has interned for a fashion photographer, Hesita&Bear (a luxury homeware company) and plans to continue her trek in the visual communications industry. Ceida loves exploring the Windy City, and more importantly: she enjoys showing it off. Her pass times include drinking coffee, thrifting, and listening to old-school Jazz, and photography! She is also a proud member of Phi Sigma Sigma National Sorority.