This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Now that I’ve shared some of the layering essentials, I thought I’d let you in on some of my favorite fall and winter layering combinations. It’s getting cold out there folks so here’s a few way to bundle up:

I don’t think leather jackets are capable of combating the winter cold alone, but when paired with another coat it gets the job done. Not only does it keep you warm, but it also looks very edgy!

Outfit Idea: Pair this combo with black skinny jeans and ankle booties. As for accessories, a black beanie would perfectly complete this look.

A sweater layered with a collared shirt looks preppy and sophisticated. This technique is great for layering basics, but it doesn’t have to be boring! You can try layering with denim shirts, blouses, flannels or making a statement with a printed coat or sweater. 

Outfit Idea: Finish this look off with some slacks, a pair of oxfords, and a chunky knit scarf.

The best outfits are those that play with different silhouettes and textures. Wearing knits on knits makes for very interesting winter layers and feels so warm and cozy!

Outfit Idea: Add a pair of tights and a colored scarf. You can layer some socks with a cute pair of booties too.

This is one of my favorite ways to layer for school because its super laid-back. Plus, there are so many color combinations you can make with these basic pieces. It has practically become my university uniform!

Outfit Idea: Complete this look with jeans and your favorite pair of sneakers.

Nadiyah is an island girl at heart, born and raised in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. She is an aspiring entrepreneur with an 80's obsession, currently majoring in Communications at UIC. You can find her riding her bike, watching reruns of The Office, or pacing the aisles of Whole Foods on the hunt for new vegan treats.
UIC Contributor.