burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Layering 101: The Basics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I’m an island girl, born & raised, so it goes without saying that I absolutely hate Chicago’s brutally cold winters. Let me tell you, I do not taking layering lightly (literally!) Over the past two years of living here, I’ve become something like a layering pro so I thought I’d share my tips with you. In this first part of my two-part series on how to layer, I’m letting you in on the layering basics. Stay tuned for the next post where I’ll give you a few outfit ideas with different ways to layer up this fall and winter!

When the temperatures start to drop the 30-somethings, I’m sporting at least three or four layers. I’ve found that thinner, hidden layers are essential for staying warm without looking like the Michelin man. 

1. Basic fitted dress: This is great for wearing under your favorite winter dresses. It’s an extra layer that no one else can see, and it can slim you down too!

2. Long-sleeved tee: The long-sleeved tee is my favorite layering piece. They’re essential for layering with sweaters on colder days, but can also be worn on their own.

3. Tank top: For “warmer” cold days, tank tops are the best alternative. They can be worn under anything and allow your arms to breathe a little.

4. Tights: These are a must for this season when rocking a skirt or dress so you can keep those limbs warm!

5. Chunky knit socks: Socks will protect your feet from the cold and they look great with a pair of booties.

6. Leggings: On those grim, below-zero days jeans just aren’t enough. You won’t believe how warm and comfy layering leggings with pants can be. Just make sure you choose a thin pair so you don’t look too bulky!

There are many more opportunities to play with color, prints, & textures up top. These are going to be your go-to pieces for layering with your outerwear this season.

1. Hoodie: This piece adds a sporty, laid-back vibe to your layering game.

2. Cardigan: Cardigans look great when layered underneath coats. They add some texture and are incredibly thermal if you opt for a chunkier knit.

3. Sweatshirt: If you want a relaxed top with boyish flair, the sweatshirt is just right for you!

4. Collared shirt: I love layering collared blouses with sweaters because they add a bit of sophistication to any look.

5. Sweater: Okay, so this one is quite obvious. A sweaters is so versatile and a fall/winter must-have!

1. Hats & beanies: Aside from keeping your ears and that noggin of yours warm, beanies look extremely stylish!

2. Scarves: Yet another opportunity to play with texture and color presents itself. Personally, I’m obsessed with chunky, infinity scarves because they’re so warm and fuss-free.

3. Gloves: It’s so important to keep your hands warm in cold weather! I tend to opt for basic black, but there are so many fun colors and prints you can try.

Nadiyah is an island girl at heart, born and raised in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. She is an aspiring entrepreneur with an 80's obsession, currently majoring in Communications at UIC. You can find her riding her bike, watching reruns of The Office, or pacing the aisles of Whole Foods on the hunt for new vegan treats.
UIC Contributor.