K-Pop Band BTS Is Taking America By Surprise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

In the last few weeks, America has been taken by surprise by the invasion of the world famous K-Pop band BTS. The band is composed of 7 members which are the following: Jungkook, Jimin, V, Suga, Jin, J-Hope and RM. K-Pop fans are a currently growing population that are loud and energetic when it comes to receiving their idols. The heads of Americans were spinning when they witnessed BTS’s debut at the American Music Awards. K-Pop is a growing trend in America, but not quite on the scale of having BTS perform at the AMAs. For many hardcore BTS fans, it was a huge deal.

During the AMAs, the Chainsmokers introduced the world famous BTS. Admittedly, this was my first time watching BTS perform live. BTS lived up to their reputation and delivered. Their impeccable fashion taste and choreography added to their allure. The crowd was going crazy, literally throughout the whole performance, the excitement never died out. Celebrities, like Ansel Elgort, were for the first time witnessing the almost electric-like energy from the Army (BTS fans) and the music. 

The next big step for BTS was when it made its daytime debut on the Ellen DeGeneres show on November 21. Their performance was followed by a short and funny interview with Ellen DeGeneres. RM, the leader of the band, takes the lead in almost all of their interviews. To be interviewed in a language that is not your own, in one of the most powerful countries in the world, is nothing short of exhilarating and terrifying. It is never an easy road to fame even when you do have tremendous talent. As RM opened up to us, he had learned English independently by watching episodes of the television series Friends. This is an example of his huge effort and self-discipline. Though they appear to be relaxed and composed, I am sure they get nervous just like everyone else. In their new phase of their careers, they remain themselves. As they bounce from television appearances to Music Awards, they are still relatable. Something about them, maybe their youth, speaks of humility and determination. 

Next up, late night TV Show Jimmy Kimmel Live. Jimmy Kimmel never fails to make a funny impression. Jimmy Kimmel did not hide how clueless he was about who and what was BTS. The Jimmy Kimmel Live show was nice enough to let the mothers, of some of the fans, meet BTS. The BTS fans spent over a day outside of the studio just to watch BTS perform. It is clear that BTS fans are super devoted and would do anything just to see them Live. 

Usually, I don’t have the energy to stay up to watch the Late Late Show with James Corden, but thanks to YouTube I have been getting in on all the action. Once I found out BTS has also made an appearance on the Late Late Show with James Corden, I couldn’t believe how fast they were moving. It was truly quite impressive. The never failing to make a good James Corden, had BTS participate in his game “Flinch.” It was hilarious to watch the band members tease one another as they failed the bravery test. The first to go were J-Hope and Jin who thought they put on a tough exterior, RM admittedly told Corden, were the most cowardly of the group. As expected they did flinch. Jungkook and V were the next to go, and they were much more composed. To everyone’s surprise, their flinch was at a bare minimum. Finally for the first time Jimin, Suga, and RM all went at the same time. As you can see for yourselves their reactions were epic.

K-Pop’s music is contagious and is one of a kind. Like BTS, K-Pop bands are known for having the most eccentric and vibrant music videos. This is a new beginning for K-Pop artists and fans in America. The blending of cultures and music is beautiful. I really hope to continue to see more of BTS and maybe other K-Pop artists in daytime talk shows and music award shows. One thing is for sure, BTS’s army will totally start to grow. May BTS continue to steals the hearts of all of America!

I am a creative person who enjoys learning about the ways in which art can take different forms. My passions include learning about issues that effect our lives; things ranging from politics, media, culture, music, art, philosophy, technology, or education. I am a Chicago native and an undergraduate student at UIC majoring in English and minoring in Film.
UIC Contributor.