Jessica Kunamalla: Miss Illinois Contestant 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

UIC junior, Jessica Kunamalla is an aspiring young woman who is a perfect example of a beautiful person; inside and out. Kunamalla is a marketing major from Naperville, Illinois who will be representing her hometown in the Miss Illinois 2016 pageant! Not only does she participate in UIC clubs and activities, plays a variety of instruments, but she also volunteers in her free time. Find out about how she got to rep her hometown, her favorite things about living in Chicago, and her message to pageant doubters.

HC: Is the Miss Illinois 2016 pageant your first or have you always done pageants? What made you pursue them?

I have never actually participated in a pageant before. I was accepted to participate in the Miss Teen Illinois USA pageant when I was in high school, but I don’t think I had the self-confidence I needed at the time. Now, I have developed into a confident young woman. I know what I stand for and I know what I want. I think it is time that one of the titleholders represents how diverse our state and our country is. I also think that I was raised in a way that will keep me grounded and that is what girls need to look up to nowadays. I sincerely hope that I can be that for them.

HC: What are the different sections (correct me if that’s the wrong term) in the Miss Illinois pageant and which one do you think will be your favorite/strong suit?

In the Miss Illinois USA pageant there are three phases of competition: Swimsuit, Evening Gown, and Interview. I feel that my strong suit will be the interview competition. I’m looking forward to speaking with judges and giving them a better chance to know who I am, my views, my goals, and everything else that comes along with that.

HC: Explain to us how you achieved the privilege to represent Naperville in the Miss Illinois pageant-

So after I applied to be in the pageant a representative will contacted me, then proceeded with an interview. If they think you are a good candidate, you are selected to be in the pageant. Once you are accepted as a contestant, are registered, and fill out a ton of paperwork, you have the opportunity to apply for your preferred title. It can be your hometown, county, sponsor, etc. Since I grew up in Naperville, it is a big part of who I am. I was thrilled to have my request granted and I hope to make all the citizens of the “dirty six thirty” proud! I am sponsored by Chicago Scoops, LLC and Alicia’s Photography.

HC: When and where will the Miss Illinois Pageant take place? Can anyone attend this event?

The 2016 Miss Illinois Pageant will be September 4th-7th in Chicago, IL. As far as I know, anyone can attend the event. I would love for a ton of people to come and have my own little cheering section! As we approach pageant weekend, I’m sure there will more details about attendance, which I can share with you then.

HC: If you were to win the Miss Illinois Pageant, what would happen next?

If I were to win the Miss Illinois USA Pageant, I would go on to compete for the 2016 Miss USA Pageant, which is nationally televised. If I were to win the Miss USA Pageant, I would go on to compete for the 2016 Miss Universe title. These pageants are associated with Mr. Donald Trump himself and I would love to meet him!

HC: What are you most excited about for the Miss Illinois pageant?

I love doing hair and makeup, but I usually go for the more natural look, so I think it’ll be really fun and exciting to be all glitzy and glamorous. Plus, trying on a million gorgeous gowns isn’t so bad either.

HC: Some might argue that pageants are “artificial”, how would you argue against that stereotype?

While I realize that it is possible for some contestants to manufacture themselves into who they think will win, that’s not what I plan on doing. I know it’s a stereotype to think that pageant girls are just a pretty face with an empty mind. However, I consider myself to be an intelligent young woman, with dreams and aspirations. I plan on being successful in my industry and in life in general. I care about social issues and I really am passionate to make a change for the causes I feel strongly for. I am certain that I will meet many other contestants that feel the same way I do. In addition to the connections, experience, and confidence they acquire afterwards, I think pageants like this allow women to have the platform they need to open so many doors regardless of their professional goals.

HC: Are you involved in any clubs/activities here at UIC?

I am the Public Relations Director for an organization at UIC called Healing Arts. We train and provide volunteers to teach art workshops to CPS schools who have experienced funding cuts. In addition to classes, I also have a part time job as the Marketing & CRM Coordinator for Chicago Scoops, the largest franchisee of Cold Stone Creamery. When I find free time from all of that I enjoy volunteering and giving back. I volunteer with One Scoop at a Time, Feed My Starving Children, and I sponsor a child’s nutritional and educational needs in India through World Vision.

HC: What made you pick UIC for your college education?

The truth is that UIC wasn’t my first choice. The tuition was reasonable and it’s close to home, plus my older brother and sister went to UIC. However, I have really had the greatest time attending school here. One thing I love about campus is how diverse everyone is. You can walk through a single hallway and hear over 10 different languages. We are a very open community, accepting of all. I think that is so important to have in a place where everyone is trying to find himself or herself. I have met some of the most amazing people I know and I’m lucky to call them my best friends. I love everything that UIC and Chicago has to offer, from concerts, to the restaurants, the people, and the vibes. 

Katie is a freshman at UIC, majoring in Communications. She loves to read novels by Ellen Hopkins and spend all her money at Sephora.
UIC Contributor.