This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

If you’ve ever been to a UIC Flames Basketball game, chances are you’ve seen this girl dancing around! Inna Tereshko is a sophomore, Pre-Nursing student who is extremely involved on campus. She is a UIC Flames Dancer, a member of the sorority Phi Sigma Sigma, as well as a dedicated nursing student. Inna is committed to working hard in order to have the best college experience she can!

HC (Her Campus): What piqued your interest in dancing? Did you dance as a child or in high school?

IT (Inna Tereshko): When I was younger, I fell in love with ice-skating, and alongside ice-skating I took Ballet and Ballroom, which sparked my passion for dance. I thought ballerinas were so beautiful and danced with such effortless grace. Yet, as I grew older, I felt like a more upbeat, sassy dance style fit me more, and so I got into Jazz. I was also on Poms in middle school and Poms and Orchesis in high school.

HC: In addition to being a UIC Flames Dancer, what else are you involved in?

IT: I am a member of Phi Sigma Sigma!

HC: Do you have any dance role models? If so, who and how did they inspire you?

IT: I am a big fan of Nika Kljun! She is a Slovenian dancer, mostly known for her hip hop, but she is also a beautiful jazz dancer. I love how diverse she is and I inspire to dance like her. On the UIC Dance Team we dance both Jazz and Hip-hop, but we have also done Pom, so I think it’s exciting when a dancer can switch off different styles and amaze their audiences. 

HC: What’s your favorite move to bust out at a party?

IT: Hahaha, oh this is a fun one…honestly I don’t take myself seriously and start moving my body to the beat of the music and I guess whatever moves come out from that are my dance moves! I probably look like a goof majority of the time, especially because I always sing all the lyrics, but I love to have fun with the bass of the music, especially if my girls are around.

HC: Do you have any advice for any dancers out there?

IT: If you have the passion for dance, don’t be scared to put yourself out there! There’s always room for improvement for all dancers; new dance moves to learn, new styles, but if you enjoy it, then you have to chase your dreams until they become reality, don’t be afraid of rejection. Do yourself a favor and do what makes you happy!

HC: Summarize a day in the life of you?

IT: I wake up, 3 days of the week I volunteer at Stroger Hospital and Rush Hospital, then I head to class, and after I go to dance practice. On Thursdays I go to Chapter for my sorority after practice and then I sleep.

HC: What is the most difficult part about managing your time schedule?

IT: I love sleep…hahaha so I have to sacrifice sleep majority of the time to manage my schedule; but aside from that, I know I am a student first. I know I have to do school work, but I have a passion for dance, I love my sorority and volunteering, and I can’t let go of any of them, so I know that if I want to do what I love, I have to manage my time very well. I don’t really think about how busy I am until my friends point it out, but honestly I love being busy. No moment is wasted. 

HC: Do you do any activities outside of UIC?

IT: Yes, I volunteer at Stroger Hospital in the NICU, PICU and Pediatrics Unit, and I also have an Internship at a NueroScience Lab at Rush Hospital. I aspire to become a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, and I am forever grateful to have been blessed with these opportunities. 

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

IT: Hopefully, happy and fulfilled with good memories from my 20s and living the Cali Dream with my future husband and children :)

HC: What celebrity do you think you’d be best friends with?

IT: If I could, I would love to be best friends with Beyonce! She is someone I look up to and respect. She is such an inspirational and classy woman, and I think she would be a spontaneous and genuine friend I could talk to for hours, dance with, and splurge on food with.  

Sydney is currently a junior at UIC. Apart from writing the Campus Celebrity column for HerCampus-UIC, she also serves as the Vice President in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. As of now her major is undeclared, however she would like to major in marketing and finance. When she is not on campus, she is working at her internships, going to concerts, hanging out with friends, and enjoying life as it comes. In the future she hopes to go into some sort of public relations career, such as event planning, but also keeps her options open. Sydney works hard and tries to take advantage of as many opportunities that come her way!
UIC Contributor.