thought catalog xVRdDDe6M1A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog xVRdDDe6M1A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Plastic Surgery is Taking Over Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As the internet continues to grow, more and more information is easier to access. But who would have thought cosmetic procedures would be one of those things? From Brazilian butt lifts to cyst removals, it’s like I can’t escape Twitter or Instagram without seeing a video of a new procedure.

Different surgeons take to social media not only to popularize their brands, but to educate future surgeons.  One of the most popular plastic surgeons involved is Dr. Michael Salzhauer, better known as Dr. Miami.

Having a clientele consisting of many celebrities and well-known names, Dr. Miami is a renowned surgeon. The Miami-based cosmetic surgeon has over 300,000 followers on his main Instagram account. Although his online fame centers mostly on Brazilian butt lifts, Dr. Miami does many other surgeries including mastopexies, rhinoplasties, tattoo removals, and more. He prides himself on making people feel better about their bodies.

With the approval of his clients, Dr. Miami and his team post videos of procedures, along with before and after pictures. With the help of Snapchat, Dr. Miami shows aspiring surgeons step-by-step procedures, along with giving background knowledge. 

Follow @therealdrmiami on Snapchat and @drmiamiland on Instagram to get a glimpse of his work!

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.