How to Find a Winternship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

With winter break arriving soon, take the opportunity to build your resume. Winter break is the perfect chance to get some experience in your field of choice, and it is a lot simpler than you may think. If you’re completely lost and don’t know where to start, don’t worry. The easiest thing to do to get some direction is to make a list of your hobbies or the things you like. Love music? Look into interning at a radio station. Are books your thing? An internship in publishing is probably for you. Making something you’re passionate about into a career is the number one way to be happy. It makes going to work every day exciting rather than a chore, and when you’re doing something you love you will put more effort into it.

Another thing to do to increase your chances of getting an internship is start small; smaller companies and businesses, in my experience, have been much better for learning and growing than starting at a giant company. The little things create stepping stones to the big things. At smaller businesses you also get the chance to interact with almost every member of the team, whereas at a bigger company you may only interact with your internship supervisor and fellow interns. If you are looking for your first internship, definitely go smaller. It will help you get a bigger one next time around if you have something rather than nothing on your resume.

Most applications for internships today are online, which goes to some unknown internet world where you don’t know if the company will ever see it or look at it. There also may be one hundred other applicants and your resume could get lost in the shuffle. Don’t be afraid to cold call! This is the best way to show initiative and determination. Use your Facebook stalking skills for something useful. Find out who is in charge of internships at whatever place you’d like to intern and send them an email with your cover letter and resume. This gives you a much better chance at getting an internship than uploading your resume to a robot. Also, that person may be able to direct you to other internships in your field or connect you to people you should talk to. The worst thing they can say is no, or not respond. Then you simply send an email to someone else at the company! Perseverance is key.

Your school may also be able to connect you with companies that offer winter internships. Meet with your counselor or department to see what they can help you with. Universities have huge networks; they most likely have relations with a company in your field that needs interns. If you can’t get an internship, there are other winter options to add to your resume. Many schools offer study abroad for a week or two over winter break. You could also look into mission trips or volunteer work- all great experiences that will enhance your career.

The most important thing about getting an internship- no matter what season- is to make sure you make the most of it and gain as many contacts as you can. You never know who knows who, and in this economy knowing people in your industry definitely gives you a leg up on other people vying for the same job.