Free Music is Back!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Weekdays are about to get a lot more exciting! Starting May 27th, Millennium Park’s free music series returns.

The first installment of the free concert series is titled “Downtown Sound”, with artists performing such as the Lee Ranaldo Band, Sharon Van Etten, and Grammy winner Carolina Chocolate Drops. This is a ten-week series of performances that runs every Monday from May 27th to June 29th , starting at 6:30 pm at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion. Also, on Thursday June 6th, the kickoff to the 30th Annual Blues Festival will take place.

*Shemekia Copeland, crowed the new Queen of the Blues at the 2011 Chicago Festival

The second installment of performances is called “Loops and Variations”. This was started just last year and features current music mixed with electronica. Opening night is June 13th and will take place every Thursday after that until July 18th.  

Last but not least, the last 6-week installment of concerts in the Free Music Series is called “Made in Chicago: World Class Jazz.” The last day of the fest of August 29th, this kicks off the 35th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival.

If you happen to find yourself downtown on a summer night, you will most likely find an amazing free concert taking place at Millennium Park. Everyone should experience music at its finest (and it’s free!) and head downtown for an unforgettable night!

For the official schedule and details on performers, visit the City of Chicago website here: http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/provdrs/attractions_eventsandexhibitions/news/2013/apr/millennium_park.html

Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.