Food Blog: Classic Black Milk Tea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

If I were to pick one drink or food that I absolutely cannot give up, it would be bubble milk tea. I love everything about it. To the ratio of sweetness, milk, tea, and even the tapioca pearls have to be perfect. During my trip to Minnesota, there was a milk tea place called Chatime. They make the best strawberry milk tea! My personal favorite part about it was the chunks of strawberries the drink had. Unfortunately, I cannot find a place that has a replica of this drink, which inspired me to try to make my own version of it. 

*serves 2-3

Ingredients:

2% milk (half and half would be a good substitute)

2 tea bags

condense milk

6 strawberries

ice

2 tbsp of white sugar

Regular Version:

1)   Brew 2 tea bags with 1 ½ cups of boiling water. Set aside and wait for the tea to cool off. (Cooling your tea is very important because you do not want to add extra ice to cool it or it will become diluted)

2)   In a tight container with a secure lid, add 2-3 tbsp of condense milk. Next, pour about half of the tea mixture into the container. Add a couple of ice cubes and a splash of milk. Secure the lid, and shake the container until the content is well combined.

3)   At this point, you should taste for sweetness and consistency of the drink. If you feel that you need more sweetness or milk, go ahead and adjust to your preference.

Strawberry Version:

1.     Repeat steps 1-3 shown above.

2.     Take your strawberries and add 2 tbsp of sugar. Mash with a fork until the strawberries become jam-like consistency.

3.     Now, in the container that you made your milk tea with, add the strawberry jam and shake well.

4.     In two separate mugs, add ice and pour both your classic milk tea and strawberry milk tea and Enjoy!

*Feel free to make tapioca pearls to add to this drink!

Jessica Wu is attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a senior majoring in Accounting. Her expected graduation date will be Fall of 2015. She loves to watch the food network and cook.
UIC Contributor.