This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Collegiettes, we’ve made it through the worst of winter. It’s finally March! Of course, while in some places of the world March means the actual end of winter, we here in the Midwest know that we’ve got about another month to go before we’re technically out of the woods. But, with the official beginning of spring on March 20, we can’t help but start to get excited for warmer weather. So, throughout this month, keep a look out for these signs that spring is on its way!

1. You forget that sunny doesn’t mean warm.

It’s March, right? So when the sun is out, that must mean that your walk to class is going to be a lot more pleasant! Nope. It’s still 30 degrees, and it’s probably going to snow later. But at least 30 is better than 10! And with that in mind…

2. Any temperature higher than 20 degrees is warm.

Okay, so not technically. To a Californian or a Southerner, definitely not. Bet let’s be honest, 30 degrees really isn’t all that bad to us. We’ve suffered through three months of Chicago winter already, and the second the temperature starts to rise even a little, we get excited. It’s kind of like the feeling you get at the end of September when you can just smell fall in the air and start craving pumpkin spice lattes, only you start having visions of green grass and actual leaves on the trees.

3. You start digging out your spring wardrobe.

If you’re like me, you’ve got a whole arsenal of cute, springy clothes just waiting for you to rescue them from that box shoved in the back of your closet. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good sweater, but I am so ready to let my arms and legs see the light of day again. Even if it’s still too cold to actually wear your spring wardrobe, just the sight of it can help you through these last few weeks of winter.

4. You stop wearing your winter coat, even though it’s still freezing.

40 degrees? Light jacket or sweatshirt it is. It doesn’t matter if there’s still snow on the ground or if there’s a fierce wind blowing through campus, you are dedicated to your ill-informed fashion choices. They don’t call them windbreakers for nothing, do they?

5. You wear flip-flops to class.

This one’s for the most spring deprived among us, but we’ve all seen that one person who breaks out the sandals the second they can see grass poking out from under the snow. Who cares if your feet get cold? You don’t have that long of a walk anyway, and most of your classes are in the same building today, so why not? 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so. 
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.