This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The new year seemed to have snuck up on us, but it is here in full swing. While you’re making and adding to your lists of goals and resolutions, make sure to add some books to it that you definitely don’t want to pass up this year (I’m excited just thinking about it). From learning how to build and run your own empire to hilariously awkward short stories about life as a woman, here are a few books to get you through the upcoming year.

Not That Kind of Girl by Lena DunhamOver the last few years, Lena Dunham has become the new “it” girl of comedy. Her hit HBO show “Girls” chronicles the lives of four single women living and learning about life and love in Brooklyn, New York. And while we all try to live vicariously through Lena onscreen, we can now read some of her personal stories this upcoming fall in her new book. If it’s anything remotely like her super-short stories on Twitter, I’ll be happy.

#Girlboss by Sophia AmorusoIf you don’t know who Sophia Amoruso is, you need to. As founder, creative director, and CEO of online fashion site NastyGal.com, she’s living proof that dedication and an edgy mastermind attitude will take you far. She started out on MySpace selling vintage threads she found all over (sometimes in the trash). She definitely represents all the qualities a successful woman today should have, and leaks some of those secrets in her book. You can preorder #Girlboss on Amazon now for $20! 

Lean In by Sheryl SandbergHolding the title of chief operating officer of Facebook, Sheryl Sanberg’s book is a call to action to women everywhere to not hold back when it comes to their careers. According to a synopsis on Amazon.com, “She recounts her own decisions, mistakes, and daily struggles to make the right choices for herself, her career, and her family. She provides practical advice on negotiation techniques, mentorship, and building a satisfying career, urging women to set boundaries and to abandon the myth of “having it all.” This is a must-read for every college girl, especially ones on the cusp of graduation. Buy it at Barnes and Noble for $15.

The Luminaries by Eleanor CattonThis book won the 2013 Man Booker Prize and is Eleanor Catton’s second novel. At 28, she is the youngest person ever to win the Man Booker Prize. Everything is connected in this novel, but nothing is at it seems. This novel, which is strangely organized throughout, is about Walter Moody and the mysteries he becomes entangled in. 

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenA story about two teenagers with cancer. Okay? Okay. (You’ll get it once you read it, and please do). The movie adaptation starring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort will be released in June of this year. Read the book before seeing the movie!