Fashion Blog: 6 College Wardrobe Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

It seems like just yesterday we were navigating the campus, waiting in congested book store lines, and mingling with strangers before lecture began. Now that we have our schedules figured out, we’ve realised we don’t need half of the books that we bought, and those strangers have now become our seat buddies. That’s right, folks! We’re already in the third week of the semester and that means that all of those Instagram-worthy outfits that you planned to wear have ran their course. It’s normally around this time that we enter the “I don’t have anything to wear” phase. So, I’m hear to tell you that once you have these six basics in your wardrobe you will always have something to wear. 

1. Basic tees

Technically, basic tees are a must-have for any season. These babies are extremely versatile and the perfect top to haul on after a long night of studying has caused you to hit that snooze button a few too many times. Pairing a graphic tee with jeans or a plain tee with a girly skirt are quick and easy ways to look effortlessly stylish.

2. Denim

Like, duh! When all else fails, your favorite pair of jeans will not. If you want to amp up your look try ditching the classic plain jean for a distressed pair. Oh, didn’t you hear? Shabby is the new chic! A few rips and holes are super trendy and add a bit of character to your college outfits. 

3. Black flats

I don’t think it gets more simple than your pair of classic black flats. Oh, you too fancy, huh? Well, when you have back to back classes or find yourself trying to sprint from SCE to BSB you’ll be glad that you tossed those booties to the side and slipped on a pair of comfy flats instead. Make no mistake, flats can actually make a statement! Try rocking a textured pair or pointed toe loafers — instant chic points! 

4. Cardigan

Cardigans are great for layering with tees and adding that extra pop of print or color to your look. This must-have is also going to come in handy when you’re in and out of air-conditioned classrooms or just bracing for Chicago’s ridiculously unpredictable weather. 

5. Little black skirt

The LBD is great and all, but I think that a little black skirt allows for a bit more versatility. You can pair it with blouses, crop tops, and when fall rolls around nothing is cuter than the cropped sweater-skirt-tights combo! The little black skirt can easily be dressed up for a girls’ night out too. Just sling on a pair of heels and a blazer and you’re ready for a night on the town.

6. T-shirt dress

Don’t leave your dresses hanging (literally!). When you’re tired of wearing jeans, this ultra comfortable alternative is going to be your new best friend. This piece can stand alone, but looks just as great layered with jackets and flannels and paired with booties.

Nadiyah is an island girl at heart, born and raised in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. She is an aspiring entrepreneur with an 80's obsession, currently majoring in Communications at UIC. You can find her riding her bike, watching reruns of The Office, or pacing the aisles of Whole Foods on the hunt for new vegan treats.
UIC Contributor.