Fashion Blog: 10 Pieces To Add To Your Fall Shopping List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As I write this post, my open windows are letting in a warm, 70-something-degree breeze. Chicago seems to be in denial that we have officially began fall. However, knowing this city’s reputation for bipolar weather, I’m sure that by the time you read this the temperatures will have dropped and reality has set in. Summer is over and that means revamping our wardrobes by replacing our tanks with turtlenecks and layering our mini-skirts with tights. In case you’re still stuck in a summer daze and have no idea what to put on that fall wardrobe shopping list, here are a ten pieces to get you started: 

1. Cropped Turtleneck 

Turtlenecks have the tendency to look a bit bulky and outdated, but the croppped version of this cold-weather classic is changing the game. The cropped turtleneck will keep you super warm and still allow you to maintain a sleek, streamlined look. 

2. Printed Mini Dress

Don’t you dare think that fall is the time to hide those legs! Dresses are perfect for layering with tights and giving those limbs a break from jeans. A printed dress will take your style up a notch and make a statement. I love rocking monochromatic prints for the fall and winter, but don’t be afraid to mix in some color too!

3. Chunky Knit Cardigan

When you don’t feel like sporting your trusty parka or trench coat, a chunky knit cardigan is the way to go. This piece is a great alternative to your typical fall jacket because its versatile when it comes to layering; it looks just as fab when paired with a mini dress and booties as it does layered with a hoodie and a pair of jeans. P.s. Speckeld knits are SO on trend right now.

4. Mod Boots

There’s an array of boot trends you can try this fall, but the modern boot is by far the chicest of them all. Whether you opt for a pointed toe or rad buckle details, the mod boot will add an androgynous edge to your style this season. 

5. Super Distressed Skinny Jeans

Not only does distressed denim look super rad, it also gives your legs a chance to play peek-a-boo this fall. These jeans will look amazing when paired with your mod booties and chunky knit sweaters — trust me!

6. Pilot Jacket

I love incorporating sporty pieces into my wardrobe, especially when it comes to outerwear, and it just so happens that pilot jackets and windbreakers are totally on trend right now. You’ll look effortlessy cool when sporting this sporty fall essential. 

7. Jumpsuit

A jumpsuit is the ultimate lazy-day piece. When you’re struggling to find an outfit or just want a fuss-free option, this is your new best friend. Not many people are brave enough to rock this trend, so you’ll definitely turn heads and look like such a fashionista!

8. Laceup Oxfords

Booties aren’t the only shoes that you should consider adding to your fall shoe collection. For the days you want to dress your feet with a tad more sophistication, try lacing up a pair of oxfords or loafers. They’re oh-so-classic, but opting for a patent pair also makes for quite the fashion statement!

9. Fancy Sweatpants

Don’t sweat it! You can wear comfy sweatpants this fall without looking like you rolled right out of bed. If you try a pair with a fun print you won’t even look like you’re wearing sweats! P.s. Leopard and speckled knit sweatpants are a must-try this season! 

10. Pleated Skater Skirt

You can definitely rock a skater skirt any time of the year. This season, try a thicker, pleated skater skirt. This piece will add a charming, girly element to your fall looks. Plus, the skater skirt is great for accentuating curves (or creating non-existent ones!) because the a-line shape creates the illusion of a slimmer waist!

Nadiyah is an island girl at heart, born and raised in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. She is an aspiring entrepreneur with an 80's obsession, currently majoring in Communications at UIC. You can find her riding her bike, watching reruns of The Office, or pacing the aisles of Whole Foods on the hunt for new vegan treats.
UIC Contributor.