Exfoliate With Sugar!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Exfoliating is key to having a healthy looking skin all year round! And it becomes even more essential in the winter since we tend to get dry, itchy, flaky skin during this time.  Exfoliating with sugar is a great inexpensive way of keeping your skin healthy! Sugar is a natural exfoliator, it helps remove dead skin and cellular build up which helps your skin look fresh and rejuvenated and also gives it a nice glow. 

For Your Face:

• 2 Tablespoons of Sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons of warm Water

Put the sugar in a small bowl and pour the water on top. Next, stir until all the sugar granules have dissolved. It’s important that the mixture is not coarse, so you don’t cut up or tear at your skin. Once the mixture is smooth and creamy, massage the scrub onto your face and neck in a slow, gentle circular motion with your fingertips, avoiding the eye area. Continue this for 2 minutes then rinse the sugar solution off with warm water. Gently pat your face dry with a towel. Lastly, apply a good moisturizer.

For Your Lips:

You can use the same ingredients and prep above. Rub the sugar solution gently over your lips for a couple minutes. Next, rise off the scrub with warm water and follow with a hydrating lip balm or chapstick. The skin on the lips is so much more delicate than that on the face so exfoliating and hydrating is vitally important especially in the winter.

Tip:  Always carry a lip balm or chapstick with you during the day to re-apply and also apply just before going to bed. You will be well on your way to smooth, beautiful lips!

For Your Body:

• 6 tablespoons of sugar
  • 7 tablespoons of almond oil (vitamin E oil or olive oil work too)

You can use this scrub when you are in the shower.  First, cleanse your body with your normal bar soap. Then take some of the sugar mixture and start massaging it onto your body in circular movements for a couple of minutes until sugar completely dissolves.  The dry skin will be scrubbed away in no time! Next, Rinse of the any excess scrub off and dry off gently. Apply a good hydrating body lotion, and voila! Your skin will be glowing and feel rejuvenated!

As you can see, you don’t need to spend tons of money to deal with winter woes. You can follow these treatments 2-3 times a week and you will be on your way to healthier looking skin!

Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.