Do’s and Don’ts of a Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Do’s and Don’ts of Summer Internships

So you landed the summer internship of your dreams and you can’t help but wait to get started on your first day! You made a great first impression to employers at your interview and feel like you’re on top of the world. But be careful collegiettes, it’s good to be proud of your accomplishment, but it’s also important not to get over confident.

Landing the summer internship and winning over employers was just the beginning, now you have to convince them that they chose the right intern. Don’t get me wrong, working with a big time company and meeting and creating memories with fellow interns can be fun! Just don’t forget that you are representing a business and showing professionalism is important. So to better prepare yourself for that big first day, here is your guide to the Do’s and Don’ts of a summer internship:  

Do: Ask Questions

As a summer intern and your first day on the job, don’t be afraid to ask questions. It’s totally fine to ask your boss questions that will help you get the job done correctly. It’s always better to prevent mistakes from happening in the first place by knowing exactly what and how to do something.

Don’t: Under or Over Dress

It’s best to dress professionally the first couple of days to ensure your boss that you are serious about the position, even if the internship doesn’t require a specific dress code. Until you’re aware of the culture and specific dress requirements of the internship, dress in simple business attire without overdoing it.

Do: Keep Busy

You were hired for the internship for a reason. They believe in your ability and skills as an intern and trust that your knowledge and experience will be a valuable asset to their company. You don’t want to give your boss a reason to fire you. Focus on your assignment, if you’ve completed a task ahead of time let your supervisor know, they will certainly be impressed!

Don’t: Gossip/Over-share

Okay, so we all know this one might be a tough one, but don’t do it collegiettes! Word in the office spreads fast and before you know it; your boss will know you’ve been spreading gossip around. You may think no one will notice or find out, but let’s face it everyone will know. It’s unprofessional, disrespectful, and doesn’t impress your boss.  

Do: Research/Overview of Company

One way to show your dedication to the internship and something that will definitely impress your boss and fellow interns is doing your homework. You learned about the company when preparing for your interview, but dig a little deeper. Having in depth knowledge about your position and the company in general shows that you are serious and enthusiastic about being an intern that summer.

Don’t: Be Late

There’s a saying that goes, “If you’re early, you’re on time; if you’re on time, you’re late.” Being late to a job or any event is a bad look and is something that can be easily avoided. Leave for work earlier and plan for any unexpected transportation issues.

Do: Greet Everyone

It’s important to be friendly and start off the internship with a positive mindset. Try to meet everyone that works within your unit if possible. It’s great to network and develop those relationships; you never know who you’ll meet. Get to know them and don’t be afraid to open up to fellow interns. You’ll be working alongside them and might become great friends and build a lasting relationship!

Don’t: Bring your weekend with you on Monday morning

It is summer and chances are you’ll be out and about most late nights. Whatever you do, don’t show everyone at work just how crazy it was at the clubs or how many drinks you had at the bar the night before. It is a definite no no and is something that you’ll regret doing. It’s summer and you want to have fun! Just remember to be responsible and plan your social life around your internship work days.

Nicole is a proud city girl born and raised in beautiful Chicago. She is currently a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Business Marketing major and a part of the Women's Line Up Team at Nike Chicago. She loves everything to do with fitness & health, music, urban life, and sports! In her spare time she loves to run, ride her fixie along the lakefront, do yoga, and volunteer! She is a die hard Chicago Bulls fan with a huge sweet tooth. Nicole's dream is to have a career in marketing with a focus in brand management or advertisement and sales promotion.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.