DIY Christmas Gifts on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Now that the semester is over, we can fully appreciate the holiday season! However, with the holidays comes the sometimes stressful thinking and planning of presents for friends and family. Being a college student on a budget, you may not be able to splurge as much as you would like, but we are here to help! We have a few ideas for some easy, do-it-yourself gifts that won’t hurt your wallet.

Cookies: Nothing is easier and more fun to make than holiday cookies! Bake sugar cookies in your favorite holiday shapes and decorate them with icing. After waiting for them to cool, frost and place the cookies in a colorful jar or tin and wrap with a bow. Cookies are sweet in more ways than one and always a thoughtful gift. Loved ones can see the time and effort put into this and enjoy each bite! Plus, baking and frosting cookies doesn’t have to be a chore. Turn on some of your favorite tunes and bake a few dozen to give out as gifts in no time. 

Personalized Mug: This gift is perfect for your favorite tea/coffee/hot-cocoa drinker! Find an inexpensive plain white or other solid colored mug and pick out some colorful Sharpie permanent markers. Use the markers to draw on the mug and make it as personalized as you like. Bake the mug in the oven at 350ºF for thirty minutes to seal in the markings and you’re all set! Easier than you thought, huh? Personalized mugs allow you to write, draw, and design special memories you have with your special someones so each time they take a warm sip, their mug will warm their heart. (Cheesy we know, but it’s a charming thought isn’t it?!) If you’re not the most creative or talented with drawing, look online for websites that offer cheap deals on personalized coffee mugs. You have so many ways to design the mugs and they run at an affordable price! 

Decorated Ornament: To make a gift that will last, buy an ornament and personalize it with markers, puffy paint, acrylic paint, and glitter! You can even use hot glue to secure some extra decorations to the ornament. Go a step further by making an ornament yourself with string, beads, or other festive and colorful material that you can find at any craft store!

All-in-one Hot Cocoa: This is a sweet and simple gift that is perfect for just about anyone! All you need is a plain mason jar or other sizeable jar or mug (available at craft stores), hot cocoa mix, and marshmallows. Simply pour a few packets of your favorite hot cocoa mix into the mason jar and top with marshmallows. The recipient will then have everything they need to make a quick and delicious mug, while thinking of you of course. You can easily add more to the gift by decorating the outside of the jar with paint and holiday ribbon. If you would like to enhance the hot cocoa even more, include a candy cane or chocolate covered spoon inside. Hot Cocoa is always lovely, especially around this time of year. 

Stocking Stuffers: For this idea, all you will need is an inexpensive stocking and things to fill it with. This will give a personal feel to the gift while not breaking the bank. You can then decorate the stocking itself and fill it with anything you want. Put in candy, hot cocoa mix, a favorite holiday movie, a pair of warm gloves, fuzzy socks, candles, and give to your best friend! Nothing’s more fitting for the season than gifts in a stocking. 

Scrapbook/Collage: There is nothing more personal than a collage of your favorite pictures of you and your best friend or family member. You can easily buy an inexpensive cork board at a craft or office store which you can then wrap with some holiday wrapping paper. Then simply tape, glue, or tack on a collage of pictures. Add embellishments with stickers, paint, drawings, etc. to personalize it even more! Jot down special memories, movie tickets, etc. Anything that creates a memory for you and that special someone. 

Remember, a gift is always better with a personal touch. We hope to have given you some options for DIY holiday gifts on a budget, or at least some ideas to create your own! Have fun with these ideas and be creative. Happy Holidays!

HCXO,

Jennifer & Melissa 

Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Psychology, Sociology Melissa is born and raised in Chicago. She started out at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign before coming to UIC.
Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Germanic Studies Status: Senior Jennifer is a born and raised Chicago girl passionate about her studies. She loves to help people all that she can and contribute to the betterment of others. Used to being on the go, Jennifer is enthusiastic about obtaining her degree and learning many different things along the way. She is interested in music, movies, reading, volunteering, and is a major Blackhawks fan. Her dream is obtain her degree and work with writing in a fashion that will reach out to people.
UIC Contributor.