Campus Profile: Purva Patel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Name: Purva Patel

Hometown: Gujrat, India

Age: 20

Year: Freshman

Major: Computer Engineering

Minor: Art

HC: What is your favorite food?

My favorite food is an Indian dish called Panpuri. It is most of India’s favorite food. 

HC: What is your favorite movie?

My favorite movies are Bollywood movies because I am originally from India. 

HC: Computer Engineering and Art are very different subjects. How did you decide on that combination?

I love art. Art is my main passion, and I wanted to incorporate that with my major. 

HC: The engineering field is dominated by men. How does it feel being in the minority as a woman?

I just started and I am just taking one computer engineering class. My class is mostly guys, and there are few girls. It seems difficult. 

HC: Out of all the schools you applied to, why did you decide on UIC?

I decided on UIC because it is in Chicago, and it is a really nice school. 

HC: Did Chicago live up to all your expectations?

Yes! My favorite thing to do is travel around the city. 

HC: What are some of your hobbies?

Art. It has been my hobby for a long time.

HC: If you could have any superpower what would it be?

That’s a hard question! Hmm, read people’s minds. I want this power so I can help people. Sometimes one of your friends has a problem, but they do not share everything that is bothering them. If you can read their minds, then you can help them overcome the problem. 

HC: Knowing everything you know now, what is some advice you would have given yourself at the beginning of the year?

Start working hard from the beginning of the year, and get help from office hours.

HC: What is one thing most people don’t know about you?

I am shy, so I do not talk to people at first. Once people get to know me, I am actually very energetic.

*All artwork featured are by Purva Patel 

"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder." -Rumi
UIC Contributor.